My research group effort focuses on advanced geomechanics, considering engineering problems involving mechanical, hydraulic, thermal, geochemical, and biological couplings. Problems in geotechnical engineering and geomechanics are generally strongly coupled with mutual interactions between different physics. Specific challenges include: the design of nuclear waste disposal, modeling the THMC behavior of gas hydrate sediments, the design of energy piles (and other forms of energy exchange with the ground), understanding the degradation of geomaterials due to climate change (including desiccation cracks), advancing the design of geological CO2 sequestration, improving our scientific understanding of hydraulic fracturing, and assisting energy production from existing and new sources.
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering (Caminos, Canales y Puertos), Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya - (Barcelona, Spain) 2004
- M.S. in Numerical Methods in Engineering, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya - (Barcelona, Spain) 1996
- B.S. in Civil Engineering, National University of San Juan - (San Juan, Argentina) 1990
- Cleto, P. R., Manzoli, O. L., Sánchez, M., Maedo, M. A., Beserra, L., & Guimarães, L. (2020). Hydro-mechanical coupled modeling of hydraulic fracturing using the mesh fragmentation technique. Computers and Geotechnics. 124, 103591-103591.
- Loveridge, F., McCartney, J. S., Narsilio, G. A., & Sanchez, M. (2020). Energy geostructures: A review of analysis approaches, in situ testing and model scale experiments. Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment. 22, 100173-100173.
- Tran, K. M., Bui, H. H., Kodikara, J., & Sánchez, M. (2020). Soil curling process and its influencing factors. Canadian Geotechnical Journal. 57(3), 408-422.
- Al-Jeznawi, D., Sanchez, M., Al-Taie, A. J., & Zielinski, M. (2019). Experimental studies on curling development of artificial soils. Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. 11(6), 1264-1273.
- Tran, H. T., Wang, Y., Nguyen, G. D., Kodikara, J., Sanchez, M., & Bui, H. H. (2019). Modelling 3D desiccation cracking in clayey soils using a size-dependent SPH computational approach. Computers and Geotechnics. 116, 103209-103209.
- (2018). Creep Behavior of Soil Nails in High Plasticity Clay under Various Load Level. PanAm Unsaturated Soils 2017, Second Pan-American Conference on Unsaturated Soils. 2017-November(GSP 302), 38-48.
- Wang, D., Sánchez, M., Sáez, E., Ovalle, C., & Briaud, J. (2018). Study of a Natural Unsaturated Clay and Its Effect on Railroads. PanAm Unsaturated Soils 2017, Second Pan-American Conference on Unsaturated Soils. 2017-November(302), 250-259.
- Wang, D., Snchez, M., & Briaud, J. (2018). Existing Railroads on Shrink-Swell Soils: Field Monitoring, Laboratory Tests, and Numerical Simulation. ICRT 2017, First International Conference on Rail Transportation 2017. 2017-July, 1080-1089.
- Wang, D., Snchez, M., & Briaud, J. (2016). Behavior of railroads on shrink-swell soils. E3S Web of Conferences. 9, 20007-20007.