My research focuses on mechanisms associated with protein turnover and glucoregulatory function in muscle and how these mechanisms may be altered by exercise, aging, obesity, diabetes or periods of microgravity.
education and training
- Lawler, J. M., Garcia-Villatoro, E. L., Guzzoni, V., Hord, J. M., Botchlett, R., Holly, D., ... Talcott, S. (2019). Effect of combined fish oil & Curcumin on murine skeletal muscle morphology and stress response proteins during mechanical unloading.. Nutr Res.
- Rosa-Caldwell, M. E., Brown, J. L., Perry, R. A., Shimkus, K. L., Shirazi-Fard, Y., Brown, L. A., ... Greene, N. P. (2019). Regulation of Mitochondrial Quality Following Repeated Bouts of Hindlimb Unloading.. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab.
- Lee, T. V., Lee, C. W., Chen, V., Bui, S., Fluckey, J. D., & Riechman, S. E. (2019). The effects of hindlimb unloading versus dietary cholesterol and resistance training on rat skeletal muscle responses. Lipids in Health and Disease. 18(1), 3.
- Kuczmarski, J. M., Hord, J. M., Lee, Y., Guzzoni, V., Rodriguez, D., Lawler, M. S., ... Lawler, J. M. (2018). Effect of Eukarion-134 on Aktâ€“mTOR signalling in the rat soleus during 7Â days of mechanical unloading. Experimental Physiology. 103(4), 545-558.
- Shimkus, K. L., Shirazi-Fard, Y., Wiggs, M. P., Ullah, S. T., Pohlenz, C., III, G., ... Fluckey, J. D. (2018). Responses of skeletal muscle size and anabolism are reproducible with multiple periods of unloading/reloading. JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSIOLOGY. 125(5), 1456-1467.
- Gasier, H. G., Wiggs, M. P., Previs, S. F., Riechman, S. E., & Fluckey, J. D. (2008). The assessment of in vivo protein synthesis following chronic resistance exercise using (H2O)-H-2. The FASEB Journal. 22,
- Nilsson, M., Swift, J. M., Walthall, C. J., Stallone, J. L., Hogan, H. A., Fluckey, J. D., & Bloomfield, S. A. (2007). The effect of resistance exercise on in vivo-derived tomography measures and mechanical properties of rodent bone: Is more load always better?. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. 22, S490-S490.
- Fluckey, J. D., Norrbrand, L., Pozzo, M., Smith, L., & Tesch, P. A. (2006). Acute insulin is not necessary for post exercise elevations of muscle protein synthesis after 5 weeks of resistance exercise training. The FASEB Journal. 20(5), A821-A821.
- Carroll, C. C., Fluckey, J. D., Williams, R. H., Sullivan, D. H., & Trappe, T. A. (2005). Human soleus and vastus lateralis muscle protein metabolism with an amino acid infusion. The FASEB Journal. 19(5), A1119-A1119.
- Fluckey, J. D., Dupont-Versteegden, E. E., Smith, L., Knox, M., Bennett, P., Gaddy, D., & Peterson, C. A. (2005). The capacity of insulin to attenuate rates of protein degradation in rat soleus muscle is maintained after 14 days of hindlimb suspension. The FASEB Journal. 19(5), A1125-A1125.
chaired theses and dissertations
- Perticone, Jacqueline Ilene (2014-08). Protein Degradative Processes Associated with Anabolic Dysregulation in Diabetic Skeletal Muscle. (Master's Thesis)
- Wiggs, Michael (2011-08). Simulated Microgravity and Radiation Exposure Effects on the Regulation of Skeletal Muscle Protein Synthesis. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Nilsson, Mats I. (2009-12). Influence of Insulin Resistance on Contractile Activity-Induced Anabolic Response of Skeletal Muscle. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Gasier, Heath G. (2009-05). The Effects of Resistance Exercise on In Vivo Cumulative Skeletal Muscle Protein Synthesis. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Health And Kinesiology; 4243 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4243