My research interests include electric power engineering, power system protection, control and automation of power systems, power systems diagnostics and waveform analytics, forensic engineering, engineering ethics, and engineering professionalism.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, University of Oklahoma - (Norman, Oklahoma, United States) 1975
- M.E. in Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1971
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1970
- KIM, C. J., & RUSSELL, B. D. (1989). CLASSIFICATION OF FAULTS AND SWITCHING EVENTS BY INDUCTIVE REASONING AND EXPERT SYSTEM METHODOLOGY. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. 4(3), 1631-1637.
- Kim, C. J., & Russell, B. D. (1989). Classification of Faults and Switching Events by Inductive Reasoning and Expert System Methodology. IEEE Power Engineering Review. 9(7), 48-49.
- MEHTA, K., & RUSSELL, B. D. (1989). DATA-COMPRESSION FOR DIGITAL DATA FROM POWER-SYSTEMS DISTURBANCES - REQUIREMENTS AND TECHNIQUE EVALUATION. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. 4(3), 1683-1688.
- Mehta, K., & Russell, B. D. (1989). Data Compression for Digital Data From Power Systems Disturbances: Requirements and Technique Evaluation. IEEE Power Engineering Review. 9(7), 52-53.
- RUSSELL, B. D., MEHTA, K., & CHINCHALI, R. P. (1988). AN ARCING FAULT-DETECTION TECHNIQUE USING LOW-FREQUENCY CURRENT COMPONENTS - PERFORMANCE EVALUATION USING RECORDED FIELD DATA. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. 3(4), 1493-1500.
- Benner, C. L., Peterson, R. A., Russell, B. D., & IEEE, .. (2017). Application of DFA Technology for Improved Reliability and Operations. Papers - Rural Electric Power Conference. 44-51.
- Russell, B. D., & Loe, S. (2015). Foreword. iii.
- Russell, B. D. (2014). Foreword.
- Wischkaemper, J. A., Benner, C. L., Russell, B. D., Manivannan, K. M., & IEEE, .. (2014). Waveform Analytics-based Improvements in Situational Awareness, Feeder Visibility, and Operational Efficiency. Proceedings of the IEEE Power Engineering Society Transmission and Distribution Conference.
- Russell, B. D., Benner, C. L., & Wischkaemper, J. A. (2012). Distribution feeder caused wildfires: Mechanisms and prevention. 43-51.
awards and honors
- NAI Fellow conferred by National Academy of Inventors - (Tampa, Florida, United States) 2014
chaired theses and dissertations
- Hurtado, Lisa Diane (2011-05). An Environmental and Policy Evaluation of Cellulosic Ethanol. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Rengarajan, Janarthanan (2008-12). Operated device estimation framework. (Master's Thesis)
- Li, Jun (2005-12). Methodology for designing the fuzzy resolver for a radial distribution system fault locator. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Electrical Engineering; 3128 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-3128