My research interests include electric power engineering, power system protection, control and automation of power systems, power systems diagnostics and waveform analytics, forensic engineering, engineering ethics, and engineering professionalism.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, University of Oklahoma - (Norman, Oklahoma, United States) 1975
- M.E. in Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1971
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1970
- Kezunovic, M., Watson, K., Russell, B. D., Heller, P., & Aucoin, M. (1991). Expert system applications to protection, substation control and related monitoring functions. ELECTRIC POWER SYSTEMS RESEARCH. 21(1), 71-86.
- Kim, C. J., & Russell, B. D. (1991). A Learning Method for Use in Intelligent Computer Relays for High Impedance Faults. IEEE Power Engineering Review. 11(1), 42-42.
- Li, S., & Russell, B. D. (1991). Optimal arcing fault detection using signal processing techniques. ELECTRIC POWER SYSTEMS RESEARCH. 21(2), 121-128.
- Kim, C. J., Russell, B. D., & Watson, K. (1990). A parameter-based process for selecting high impedance fault detection techniques using decision making under incomplete knowledge. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. 5(3), 1314-1320.
- Ingleson, J. W., Castro, C. H., Disante, H., Emmerling, E. J., Folkman, A. G., Hirtler, R. W., ... Stephens, J. E. (1989). Bibliography of relay literature, 1936 1987 IEEE committee report. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. 4(3), 1649-1658.
- Benner, C. L., Peterson, R. A., Russell, B. D., & IEEE, .. (2017). Application of DFA Technology for Improved Reliability and Operations. Papers - Rural Electric Power Conference. 44-51.
- Russell, B. D., & Loe, S. (2015). Foreword. iii.
- Russell, B. D. (2014). Foreword.
- Wischkaemper, J. A., Benner, C. L., Russell, B. D., Manivannan, K. M., & IEEE, .. (2014). Waveform Analytics-based Improvements in Situational Awareness, Feeder Visibility, and Operational Efficiency. Proceedings of the IEEE Power Engineering Society Transmission and Distribution Conference.
- Russell, B. D., Benner, C. L., & Wischkaemper, J. A. (2012). Distribution feeder caused wildfires: Mechanisms and prevention. 43-51.
awards and honors
- NAI Fellow conferred by National Academy of Inventors - (Tampa, Florida, United States) 2014
chaired theses and dissertations
- Hurtado, Lisa Diane (2011-05). An Environmental and Policy Evaluation of Cellulosic Ethanol. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Rengarajan, Janarthanan (2008-12). Operated device estimation framework. (Master's Thesis)
- Li, Jun (2005-12). Methodology for designing the fuzzy resolver for a radial distribution system fault locator. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Electrical Engineering; 3128 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-3128