My research aims to synthesize and analyze complex, intelligent behavior in distributed systems that exploit their physical embedding to interact with the physical world.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of Southern California - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 2008
- M.S. in Computer Science, University of Southern California - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 2006
- B.S. in Computational & Applied Mathematics, and Computer Science, University of the Witwatersrand - (Johannesburg, South Africa) 2001
- Tamjidi, A., Oftadeh, R., Chakravorty, S., & Shell, D. (2019). Efficient recursive distributed state estimation of hidden Markov models over unreliable networks. Autonomous Robots.
- Kim, Y. H., & Shell, D. A. (2018). Bound to help: cooperative manipulation of objects via compliant, unactuated tails. Autonomous Robots. 1-20.
- Zhang, Y., & Shell, D. A. (2018). Complete characterization of a class of privacy-preserving tracking problems. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ROBOTICS RESEARCH. 027836491877202-027836491877202.
- Alam, T., Bobadilla, L., & Shell, D. A. (2018). Space-Efficient Filters for Mobile Robot Localization from Discrete Limit Cycles. IEEE ROBOTICS AND AUTOMATION LETTERS. 3(1), 257-264.
- Saberifar, F. Z., Ghasemlou, S., Shell, D. A., & Oâ€™Kane, J. M. (2018). Toward a language-theoretic foundation for planning and filtering. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ROBOTICS RESEARCH. 027836491880150-027836491880150.
- Shell, D. A., & MatariÄ‡, M. J. (2005). Behavior-based methods for modeling and structuring control of social robots. Cognition and Multi-Agent Interaction: From Cognitive Modeling to Social Simulation. (pp. 279-306).
- Hsu, Y. C., Gopalswamy, S., Saripalli, S., & Shell, D. A. (2019). An MDP Model of Vehicle-Pedestrian Interaction at an Unsignalized Intersection. 2009 IEEE VEHICULAR TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE, VOLS 1-5. 2018-August,
- Li, L., Bayuelo, A., Bobadilla, L., Alam, T., & Shell, D. A. (2019). Coordinated multi-robot planning while preserving individual privacy. 2014 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ROBOTICS AND AUTOMATION (ICRA). 2019-May, 2188-2194.
- Shell, D. A., Huang, L., Becker, A. T., & O'Kane, J. M. (2019). Planning coordinated event observation for structured narratives. 2014 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ROBOTICS AND AUTOMATION (ICRA). 2019-May, 7632-7638.
- Ghasemlou, S., O'Kane, J. M., Shell, D. A., & Kosecka, J. (2018). Delineating boundaries of feasibility between robot designs. IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems. 422-429.
- Tamjidi, A., Oftadeh, R., Chakravorty, S., & Shell, D. (2018). Efficient distributed state estimation of hidden Markov Models over unreliable networks. 2018-January, 112-119.
awards and honors
chaired theses and dissertations
- Ahmed, Taahir David (2017-05). Dynamic Beamforming Without Phase Shifters. (Master's Thesis)
- Kim, Young Ho (2017-05). Manipulating Objects using Compliant, Unactuated Tails: Modeling and Planning. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Nam, Changjoo (2016-08). Assignment Algorithms for Multi-Robot Task Allocation in Uncertain and Dynamic Environments. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Kim, Jung-Hwan (2015-12). New Models of Self-Organized Multi-Robot Clustering. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- HosseiniTeshnizi, Reza (2015-08). Motion Planning for a Tethered Mobile Robot. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; Computer Science & Engineering; 3112 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-3112