Research in the Hamer Lab broadly investigates the ecology of infectious diseases of humans, wild animals, and domestic animals, with particular attention to those transmitted by arthropod vectors (e.g. mosquitoes, ticks, kissing bugs). We have focused primarily on vector-host interactions that lead to parasite amplification and increased disease risk. We utilize multidisciplinary tools to studying these complex disease systems, including molecular biology, landscape epidemiology, eco-immunology, and ecological modeling. A goal of our research is to elucidate mechanisms of transmission across space and time that facilitate ecological management of diseases with effective intervention and preventative strategies.
- Ph.D. in Ecology, Evolutionary Biology, and Behavior, Michigan State University - (East Lansing, Michigan, United States) 2008
- M.S. in Natural Resources and Environmental Science, Wildlife Ecology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign - (Urbana, Illinois, United States) 2004
- B.S. in Natural Resources and environmental Sciences, University of Illinois at Rockford - (Rockford, Illinois, United States) 2002
- Martin, E., Tang, W., Briggs, C., Hopson, H., Juarez, J. G., Garcia-Luna, S. M., ... Hamer, G. L. (2020). Cell fusing agent virus (Flavivirus) infection in Aedes aegypti in Texas: seasonality, comparison by trap type, and individual viral loads. Arch Virol. 1-8.
- Juarez, J. G., Garcia-Luna, S., Chaves, L. F., Carbajal, E., Valdez, E., Avila, C., ... Hamer, G. L. (2020). Dispersal of female and male Aedes aegypti from discarded container habitats using a stable isotope mark-capture study design in South Texas. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 10(1), 6803.
- Martin, E., Chu, E., Shults, P., Golnar, A., Swanson, D. A., Benn, J., ... Hamer, G. L. (2019). Culicoides species community composition and infection status with parasites in an urban environment of east central Texas, USA. Parasites and Vectors. 12(1), 39.
- McDermott, E. G., Mullens, B. A., Mayo, C. E., Roark, E. B., Maupin, C. R., Gerry, A. C., & Hamer, G. L. (2019). Laboratory evaluation of stable isotope labeling of Culicoides (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) for adult dispersal studies. Parasites and Vectors. 12(1), 411.
- Faiman, R., Dao, A., Yaro, A. S., Diallo, M., Djibril, S., Sanogo, Z. L., ... Lehmann, T. (2019). Marking mosquitoes in their natural larval sites using 2H-enriched water: A promising approach for tracking over extended temporal and spatial scales. Methods in Ecology and Evolution.
- Golnar, A. J., Martin, E., Wormington, J. D., Kading, R. C., Teel, P. D., Hamer, S. A., & Hamer, G. L. (2019). Reviewing the Potential Vectors and Hosts of African Swine Fever Virus Transmission in the United States. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 19(7), 512-524.
- Wormington, J. D., Golnar, A., Poh, K. C., Kading, R. C., Martin, E., Hamer, S. A., & Hamer, G. L. (2019). Risk of African Swine Fever Virus Sylvatic Establishment and Spillover to Domestic Swine in the United States. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 19(7), 506-511.
- Martin, E., Medeiros, M., Carbajal, E., Valdez, E., Juarez, J. G., Gracia-Luna, S., ... Hamer, G. L. (2019). Surveillance of Aedes aegypti indoors and outdoors using Autocidal Gravid Ovitraps in South Texas during local transmission of Zika virus, 2016 to 2018. Acta Tropica. 192, 129-137.
- Poh, K. C., Chaves, L. F., Reyna-Nava, M., Roberts, C. M., Fredregill, C., Bueno, R., Debboun, M., & Hamer, G. L. (2019). The influence of weather and weather variability on mosquito abundance and infection with West Nile virus in Harris County, Texas, USA. Science of The Total Environment. 675, 260-272.
- Hamer, G. L., Bejcek, J. R., Valdez, E. A., Curtis-Robles, R., & Hamer, S. A. (2018). A Pilot Radio Telemetry Field Study of Triatomine Vectors (Hemiptera: Reduviidae) of the Chagas Disease Parasite. J Med Entomol. 55(6), 1380-1385.
- Poh, Karen Chin (2018-12). Determinants of Spatial and Temporal Variation of West Nile Virus Transmission in Texas. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Bejcek, Justin Richard (2018-05). Differentiation among the North American Triatominae Species (Vectors of the Chagas Disease Parasite) and Their Commonly Misidentified Doppelg?ngers. (Master's Thesis)
- Boothe, Emily Cale (2015-05). Quantifying Dispersal Behavior and Abatement Efficacy for Culex quinquefasciatus and Aedes albopictus in College Station, Texas. (Master's Thesis)
- Golnar, Andrew John (2014-12). Predicting the Introduction and Transmission of Rift Valley Fever Virus in the United States. (Master's Thesis)