- Clinical Associate Professor, Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
I am primarily interested in wildlife disease prevention and management. I have done research and management on diseases such as anthrax, brucellosis, and chronic wasting disease. I have also done work with chemical immobilization agents. I am also interested in pharmacokinetics and drug withdrawal of antibiotics and immobilizing agents.
- Kauffman, M., Peck, D., Scurlock, B., Logan, J., Robinson, T., Cook, W., Boroff, K., & Schumaker, B. (2016). Risk assessment and management of brucellosis in the southern greater Yellowstone area (I): A citizen-science based risk model for bovine brucellosis transmission from elk to cattle. Preventive Veterinary Medicine. 132, 88-97.
- Edmunds, D. R., Kauffman, M. J., Schumaker, B. A., Lindzey, F. G., Cook, W. E., Kreeger, T. J., Grogan, R. G., & Cornish, T. E. (2016). Chronic Wasting Disease Drives Population Decline of White-Tailed Deer. PLoS ONE. 11(8), e0161127-e0161127.
- Adetunji, S. A., Krecek, R. C., Castellanos, G., Morrill, J. C., Blue-McLendon, A., Cook, W. E., & Esteve-Gassent, M. D. (2016). Seroprevalence of Borrelia burgdorferi antibodies in white-tailed deer from Texas. International Journal for Parasitology Parasites and Wildlife. 5(2), 168-174.
- Speiser, K. L., Schumaker, B. A., Cook, W. E., Cornish, T. E., Cammack, K. M., & Miller, M. M. (2016). Comparison of the humoral response between sheep vaccinated with a killed-virus vaccine and those vaccinated with a modified-live virus vaccine against bluetongue virus serotype 17.. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 248(9), 1043-1049.
- Cook, W., Cain, D., & Hensley, T. (2016). Tissue Residue Levels of Butorphanol, Azaperone, Medetomidine, Atipamezole, and Naltrexone in White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginanus) at 11 and 21 Days Post Intramuscular Injection. Poultry Fisheries & Wildlife Sciences. 04(02), 1-2.
- Nunez, Chase Michael (2019-12). The Use of Drugs in Captive White-Tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus): An Evaluation of Two Common Extra-Label Drug Uses in the Deer Breeding Industry. (Master's Thesis)