Research in the NeuroErgonomics Lab utilizes theories, methods, and techniques from physiology, biomechanics, neuroscience, psychology, and public health to better understand operator behavior and capabilities when interacting with simple and complex work systems. HF/E investigations involve examining multifactorial causes and consequences of operator stress and fatigue, brain-behavior relationships with changing workforce demographics (aging, obesity), and development of HF/E tools to assess operator health and performance in hazardous work environments.
- Ph.D. in Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech - (Blacksburg, Virginia, United States) 2011
- M.S. in Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech - (Blacksburg, Virginia, United States) 2009
- M.E. in Industrial Engineering, University at Buffalo, State University of New York - (Buffalo, New York, United States) 2006
- B.E. in Production Engineering, University of Mumbai - (Mumbai, Maharashtra, India) 2004
- Mehta, R. K., Peres, S. C., Shortz, A. E., Hoyle, W., Lee, M., Saini, G., Chan, H., & Pryor, M. W. (2018). Operator situation awareness and physiological states during offshore well control scenarios. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. 55, 332-337.
- Mehta, R. K., Shortz, A. E., & Benden, M. E. (2018). Standing Up for Learning: A Pilot Investigation on the Neurocognitive Benefits of Stand-Biased School Desks (vol 13, pg 59, 2016). INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH AND PUBLIC HEALTH. 15(3), 532-532.
- Mantooth, W. P., Mehta, R. K., Rhee, J., & Cavuoto, L. A. (2018). Task and sex differences in muscle oxygenation during handgrip fatigue development. ERGONOMICS. 61(12), 1646-1656.
- Jr, T., Ory, M. G., Smith, M. L., Peres, S. C., Pickens, A. W., Mehta, R. K., & Benden, M. (2017). Accessing physical activity among young adults attending a university: the role of sex, race/ethnicity, technology use, and sleep. BMC public health. 17(1), 721.
- Mehta, R. K., & Rhee, J. (2017). Age-specific neural strategies to maintain motor performance after an acute social stress bout. Experimental Brain Research. 235(7), 2049-2057.
- Parasuraman, R., & Mehta, R. K. (2015). Neuroergonomic Methods for the Evaluation of Physical and Cognitive Work. Wilson, J. R., & Sharples, S. (Eds.), Evaluation of Human Work. (pp. 609-638). CRC Press.
- Aljihmani, L., Zhu, Y., Abbas, H. T., Mehta, R., Sasangohar, F., Erraguntla, M., ... IEEE, .. (2019). Spectral Analysis of Hand Tremors Induced during a Fatigue Test. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 21ST IEEE INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON COMPUTER-BASED MEDICAL SYSTEMS. 2019-June, 658-663.
- Mehta, R. K. (2017). Addressing worker fatigue issues in the oil and gas extraction industry. 444-450.
- Rhee, J., Dillards, T., Nzoiwu, M., & Mehta, R. K. (2017). Effect of social stress on motor function in older adults: An fNIRS investigation. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. 2017-October(1), 31-31.
- Mantooth, W., Zhu, Y., & Mehta, R. K. (2017). Ergonomic evaluation of office furniture on team dynamics. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. 2017-October(1), 1858-1858.
- Shortz, A. E., Franke, M., Kilic, E. S., Peres, S. C., & Mehta, R. K. (2017). Evaluation of offshore shiftwork using heart rate variability. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. 2017-October(1), 1036-1039.
- Ritchey, Paul Daniel (2017-08). Development and Validation of the Self-report Ergonomic Assessment Tool (SEAT). (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Shortz, Ashley (2015-08). The Impact of Cognitive Fatigue on Age-Related Differences in Neuromuscular Function. (Master's Thesis)
- Osofundiya, Olufunmilola Aduke (2015-05). The Impact of Obesity on Walking and Dual-Task Situations in Older Adults: A Prefrontal fNIRS Study. (Master's Thesis)