Research efforts focus on the development of high-performance, model-based control systems that enable safe and effective operation of processes. Energy-related applications are the target of these efforts. Recent research has focused on the development of optimal control systems for energy production from biomass, and in particular, anaerobic digestion processes. Globally stabilizing control algorithms for anaerobic digesters have been developed, that enable operation around optimal conditions. Current and future research efforts include energy from biomass applications, and also, control and optimization problems related to both upstream and downstream operations in the petroleum industry.
- California Institute of Technology - (Pasadena, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1984
- M.S. in Chemical Engineering, California Institute of Technology - (Pasadena, California, United States) 1981
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens - (Athens, Attiki, Greece) 1979
- Yu, M., Quddus, N., Kravaris, C., & Mannan, M. S. (2020). Development of a FRAM-based framework to identify hazards in a complex system. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. 63, 103994-103994.
- Venkateswaran, S., Wilhite, B., & Kravaris, C. (2020). Identification of Optimal Catalyst Distributions in Heat-Exchanger Reactors. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 59(13), 5699-5711.
- Duan, Z., Wilms, T., Neubauer, P., Kravaris, C., & Bournazou, M. (2020). Model reduction of aerobic bioprocess models for efficient simulation. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING SCIENCE. 217, 115512-115512.
- Basha, N., Sheriff, M. Z., Kravaris, C., Nounou, H., & Nounou, M. (2020). Multiclass Data Classification using Fault-Detection-based Techniques. Computers & Chemical Engineering. 136, 106786-106786.
- Duan, Z., & Kravaris, C. (2020). Nonlinear observer design for two‐time‐scale systems. AICHE JOURNAL. 66(6),
- Psaltis, A., Kookos, I. K., & Kravaris, C. (2011). An Improved Formulation for the Process Control Structure Selection based on Economics Problem. Elsevier.
- Bournazou, M., Hooshiar, K., Arellano-Garcia, H., Lyberatos, G., Kravaris, C., & Wozny, G. (2011). Optimization of a Sequencing Batch Reactor process for waste water treatment using a two step nitrification model. Elsevier.
- Kazantzis, N., & Kravaris, C. (2006). A New Model Reduction Method for Nonlinear Dynamical Systems Using Singular PDE Theory. Model Reduction and Coarse-Graining Approaches for Multiscale Phenomena. (pp. 3-15). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Seinfeld, J. H., & Kravaris, C. (1982). CHAPTER 12 DISTRIBUTED PARAMETER IDENTIFICATION IN GEOPHYSICS — PETROLEUM RESERVOIRS AND AQUIFERS. Distributed Parameter Control Systems. (pp. 367-390). Elsevier.
- Ling, C., & Kravaris, C. (2019). Multi-rate Sampled-data Observer Design for Nonlinear Systems with Asynchronous and Delayed Measurements. 2014 American Control Conference. 2019-July, 1128-1133.
- Duan, Z., & Kravaris, C. (2018). Robust Stabilization of a Two-Stage Anaerobic Bioreactor System. 2018-January, 2083-2088.
- Ling, C., & Kravaris, C. (2018). Multi-Rate Sampled-Data Observers Based on a Continuous-Time Design. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 39TH IEEE CONFERENCE ON DECISION AND CONTROL, VOLS 1-5. 2018-January, 3664-3669.
- Ling, C., & Kravaris, C. (2017). Multi-Rate Observer Design Using Asynchronous Inter-Sample Output Predictions. 2014 American Control Conference. 376-381.
- Ling, C., & Kravaris, C. (2015). State observer for process monitoring of melt polycondensation reactors. 2, 851-852.