Our research has covered a wide variety of areas in atmospheric chemistry and physics and, in particular, the impacts of global air pollution on human health, ecosystems, and climate.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Atmospheric Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - (Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States) 1993
- M.S. in Physics, University of Nevada Reno - (Reno, Nevada, United States) 1989
- B.S. in Atmospheric Sciences, Nanjing Institute of Environmental Sciences - (Nanjing, China) 1983
- Brooks, S. D., Jickells, T. D., Liss, P. S., Thornton, D., & Zhang, R. (2019). Biogeochemical Coupling Between Ocean and Atmosphere – A Tribute to the Lifetime Contribution of Robert A. Duce Biogeochemical Coupling Between Ocean and Atmosphere – A Tribute to the Lifetime Contribution of Robert A. Duce. JOURNAL OF THE ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES. 76(11), 3289-3298.
- Hu, J., Rosenfeld, D., Ryzhkov, A., Zrnic, D., Williams, E., Zhang, P., ... Weitz, R. (2019). Polarimetric Radar Convective Cell Tracking Reveals Large Sensitivity of Cloud Precipitation and Electrification Properties to CCN. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES. 124(22), 12194-12205.
- Zamora, M. L., Peng, J., Hu, M., Guo, S., Marrero-Ortiz, W., Shang, D., ... Zhang, R. (2019). Wintertime aerosol properties in Beijing. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 19(22), 14329-14338.
- Wang, Y., Li, Z., Zhang, R., Jin, X., Xu, W., Fan, X., ... Hu, D. (2019). Distinct Ultrafine‐ and Accumulation‐Mode Particle Properties in Clean and Polluted Urban Environments. Geophysical Research Letters. 46(19), 10918-10925.
- Hu, J., Rosenfeld, D., Zrnic, D., Williams, E., Zhang, P., Snyder, J. C., ... Weitz, R. (2019). Tracking and characterization of convective cells through their maturation into stratiform storm elements using polarimetric radar and lightning detection. ATMOSPHERIC RESEARCH. 226, 192-207.
- Zhang, R., Tian, P., Ji, Y., Lin, Y., Peng, J., Pan, B., ... Hu, M. (2017). Overview of Persistent Haze Events in China. Air Pollution in Eastern Asia: An Integrated Perspective. (pp. 3-25). Springer International Publishing.
- Hogan, B., Khalizov, A., Petersen, E., & Zhang, R. (2012). Characterization of Soot Particles Produced from the Combustion of Hydrocarbon Fuels in a Shock-Tube. 28th International Symposium on Shock Waves. (pp. 343-348). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Zhang, R., & Wang, G. (2018). Particle acidity and sulfate production during severe haze in China. ACS Photonics. 256,
- Zamora, M. L., & Zhang, R. (2016). Air pollutants and human health: What have we learned so far?. ACS Photonics. 252,
- Peng, J., Hu, M., Guo, S., Du, Z., Zheng, J., Shang, D., ... Zhang, R. (2016). Markedly enhanced absorption and direct radiative forcing of black carbon under polluted urban environments. ACS Photonics. 252,
- Hu, M., Wu, Z., Guo, S., Wang, Z., Yue, D., Wiedensohler, A., ... Zhang, R. (2016). New particle formation under the complex air pollution in China. ACS Photonics. 252,
- Guo, S., Hu, M., Lin, Y., Gomez, M., Zamora, M., Collins, D., & Zhang, R. (2016). OH-initiated oxidation of m-xylene on black carbon aging. ACS Photonics. 252,
in the news
awards and honors
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Secrest, Jeremiah R (2019-08). Formation and Impacts of Atmospheric Aerosols. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hu, Jiaxi (2018-08). Polarimetric Radar Convective Cell Tracking Reveals Large Sensitivity of Cloud Precipitation and Electrification Properties to CCN. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Marrero Ortiz, Wilmarie (2018-05). Field and Experimental Investigation of Atmospheric Aerosol Processes. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lin, Yun (2018-05). Regional Microphysical and Radiative Effects of Aerosols. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zamora, Misti E Levy (2015-12). Nucleation, Transformation, and Impacts of Atmospheric Aerosols. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Pan, Bowen (2015-12). Assessing the Impact of Saharan Dust on Atlantic Regional Climate and Tropical Cyclogenesis. (Master's Thesis)
- G?mez Hern?ndez, Mario Estuardo (2015-12). Molecular and Physicochemical Characterization of Aerosols Relevant to Their Atmospheric Formation and Growth. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Turner, Brittany (2015-05). Heterogeneous Reaction of Alkylamines on Dicarboxylic Acids Relevant to Secondary Organic Aerosol Formation. (Master's Thesis)
- Xu, Wen (2014-05). Nucleation and Growth of Atmospheric Nanoparticles at Molecular Scale. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wang, Yuan (2013-08). Aerosol-cloud Interactions from Urban, Regional, to Global Scales. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Qiu, Chong (2013-05). Atmospheric Aerosols Aging Involving Organic Compounds and Impacts on Particle Properties. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Levy, Misti E (2013-05). Atmospheric Measurements of Submicron Aerosols at the California-Mexico Border and in Houston, Texas. (Master's Thesis)
- Vogel, Jonathan 1988- (2012-12). Simulation of Aerosol-Cloud Interactions in the WRF Model at the Southern Great Plains Site. (Master's Thesis)
- Lee, Keun-Hee (2011-12). Modeling the Direct and Indirect Effects of Atmospheric Aerosols on Tropical Cyclones. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lal, Vinita (2011-12). Heterogeneous Reactions of Epoxides in Acidic Media. (Master's Thesis)
- Cruz Quinones, Miguel (2009-12). Heterogeneous Reaction of NO2 on Soot Surfaces and the Effect of Soot Aging on its Reactivity Leading to HONO Formation. (Master's Thesis)
- Xue, Huaxin (2009-05). Variation in Morphology, Hygroscopicity, and Optical Properties of Soot Particles Coated by Dicarboxylic Acids. (Master's Thesis)
- Li, Guohui (2008-08). Investigation of the aerosol-cloud interaction using the WRF framework. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zhao, Jun (2007-12). Experimental and theoretical investigation of nucleation and growth of atmospheric aerosols. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Fan, Jiwen (2007-08). Effects of aerosols on deep convective cumulus clouds. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Levitt, Nicholas Paul (2007-05). Heterogeneous organic acid uptake on soot surfaces. (Master's Thesis)
- Fortner, Edward Charles (2006-12). Airborne and ground based measurements of volatile organic compounds using proton transfer reaction mass spectrometry in Texas and Mexico City. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zhang, Dan (2003-05). Laboratory investigation of chemical and physical properties of soot-containing aerosols. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Suh, Inseon (2003-05). Photochemistry of aromatic hydrocarbons: implications for ozone and secondary organic aerosol formation. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Meteorology; 3150 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-3150