Our research has covered a wide variety of areas in atmospheric chemistry and physics and, in particular, the impacts of global air pollution on human health, ecosystems, and climate.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Atmospheric Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - (Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States) 1993
- M.S. in Physics, University of Nevada Reno - (Reno, Nevada, United States) 1989
- B.S. in Atmospheric Sciences, Nanjing Institute of Environmental Sciences - (Nanjing, China) 1983
- Pitter, R. L., & Zhang, R. (1991). Numerical simulation of the scavenging rates of ice crystals of various microphysical characteristics. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences. 8(2), 175-200.
- Zhang, R., & Pitter, R. L. (1991). A numerical simulation of the aerosol scavenging rate by simple ice crystals. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-SOLID EARTH. 96(D12), 22491-22500.
- Mitchell, D. L., Zhang, R., & Pitter, R. L. (1990). Mass-Dimensional Relationships for Ice Particles and the Influence of Riming on Snowfall Rates. JOURNAL OF APPLIED METEOROLOGY. 29(2), 153-163.
- Zhang, R., Tian, P., Ji, Y., Lin, Y., Peng, J., Pan, B., ... Hu, M. (2017). Overview of Persistent Haze Events in China. Air Pollution in Eastern Asia: An Integrated Perspective. (pp. 3-25). Springer International Publishing.
- Hogan, B., Khalizov, A., Petersen, E., & Zhang, R. (2012). Characterization of Soot Particles Produced from the Combustion of Hydrocarbon Fuels in a Shock-Tube. 28th International Symposium on Shock Waves. (pp. 343-348). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Zhang, R., & Wang, G. (2018). Particle acidity and sulfate production during severe haze in China. ACS Photonics. 256,
- Zamora, M. L., & Zhang, R. (2016). Air pollutants and human health: What have we learned so far?. ACS Photonics. 252,
- Peng, J., Hu, M., Guo, S., Du, Z., Zheng, J., Shang, D., ... Zhang, R. (2016). Markedly enhanced absorption and direct radiative forcing of black carbon under polluted urban environments. ACS Photonics. 252,
- Hu, M., Wu, Z., Guo, S., Wang, Z., Yue, D., Wiedensohler, A., ... Zhang, R. (2016). New particle formation under the complex air pollution in China. ACS Photonics. 252,
- Guo, S., Hu, M., Lin, Y., Gomez, M., Zamora, M., Collins, D., & Zhang, R. (2016). OH-initiated oxidation of m-xylene on black carbon aging. ACS Photonics. 252,
in the news
awards and honors
chaired theses and dissertations
- Secrest, Jeremiah R (2019-08). Formation and Impacts of Atmospheric Aerosols. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hu, Jiaxi (2018-08). Polarimetric Radar Convective Cell Tracking Reveals Large Sensitivity of Cloud Precipitation and Electrification Properties to CCN. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Marrero Ortiz, Wilmarie (2018-05). Field and Experimental Investigation of Atmospheric Aerosol Processes. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lin, Yun (2018-05). Regional Microphysical and Radiative Effects of Aerosols. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zamora, Misti E Levy (2015-12). Nucleation, Transformation, and Impacts of Atmospheric Aerosols. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Meteorology; 3150 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-3150