Our research has covered a wide variety of areas in atmospheric chemistry and physics and, in particular, the impacts of global air pollution on human health, ecosystems, and climate.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Atmospheric Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - (Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States) 1993
- M.S. in Physics, University of Nevada Reno - (Reno, Nevada, United States) 1989
- B.S. in Atmospheric Sciences, Nanjing Institute of Environmental Sciences - (Nanjing, China) 1983
- Zhang, R., Molina, L. T., & Molina, M. J. (1998). Development of an electrostatic ion guide in chemical ionization mass spectrometry. Rev Sci Instrum. 69(11), 4002-4003.
- Molina, M. J., Molina, L. T., Zhang, R., Meads, R. F., & Spencer, D. D. (1997). The reaction of ClONO2 with HCl on aluminum oxide. Geophysical Research Letters. 24(13), 1619-1622.
- Zhang, R., Leu, M., & Keyser, L. F. (1997). Heterogeneous Chemistry of HO 2 NO 2 in Liquid Sulfuric Acid. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 101(18), 3324-3330.
- Zhang, R., & Leu, M. T. (1997). Heterogeneous interaction of peroxyacetyl nitrate with liquid sulfuric acid. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-SOLID EARTH. 102(7), 8837-8843.
- Zhang, R., & Leu, M. (1997). Heterogeneous interaction of peroxyacetyl nitrate with liquid sulfuric acid. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-SOLID EARTH. 102(D7), 8837-8843.
- Zhang, R., Tian, P., Ji, Y., Lin, Y., Peng, J., Pan, B., ... Hu, M. (2017). Overview of Persistent Haze Events in China. Air Pollution in Eastern Asia: An Integrated Perspective. (pp. 3-25). Springer International Publishing.
- Hogan, B., Khalizov, A., Petersen, E., & Zhang, R. (2012). Characterization of Soot Particles Produced from the Combustion of Hydrocarbon Fuels in a Shock-Tube. 28th International Symposium on Shock Waves. (pp. 343-348). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
in the news
awards and honors
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Secrest, Jeremiah R (2019-08). Formation and Impacts of Atmospheric Aerosols. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hu, Jiaxi (2018-08). Polarimetric Radar Convective Cell Tracking Reveals Large Sensitivity of Cloud Precipitation and Electrification Properties to CCN. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Marrero Ortiz, Wilmarie (2018-05). Field and Experimental Investigation of Atmospheric Aerosol Processes. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lin, Yun (2018-05). Regional Microphysical and Radiative Effects of Aerosols. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zamora, Misti E Levy (2015-12). Nucleation, Transformation, and Impacts of Atmospheric Aerosols. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Pan, Bowen (2015-12). Assessing the Impact of Saharan Dust on Atlantic Regional Climate and Tropical Cyclogenesis. (Master's Thesis)
- G?mez Hern?ndez, Mario Estuardo (2015-12). Molecular and Physicochemical Characterization of Aerosols Relevant to Their Atmospheric Formation and Growth. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Turner, Brittany (2015-05). Heterogeneous Reaction of Alkylamines on Dicarboxylic Acids Relevant to Secondary Organic Aerosol Formation. (Master's Thesis)
- Xu, Wen (2014-05). Nucleation and Growth of Atmospheric Nanoparticles at Molecular Scale. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wang, Yuan (2013-08). Aerosol-cloud Interactions from Urban, Regional, to Global Scales. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Qiu, Chong (2013-05). Atmospheric Aerosols Aging Involving Organic Compounds and Impacts on Particle Properties. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Levy, Misti E (2013-05). Atmospheric Measurements of Submicron Aerosols at the California-Mexico Border and in Houston, Texas. (Master's Thesis)
- Vogel, Jonathan 1988- (2012-12). Simulation of Aerosol-Cloud Interactions in the WRF Model at the Southern Great Plains Site. (Master's Thesis)
- Lee, Keun-Hee (2011-12). Modeling the Direct and Indirect Effects of Atmospheric Aerosols on Tropical Cyclones. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lal, Vinita (2011-12). Heterogeneous Reactions of Epoxides in Acidic Media. (Master's Thesis)
- Cruz Quinones, Miguel (2009-12). Heterogeneous Reaction of NO2 on Soot Surfaces and the Effect of Soot Aging on its Reactivity Leading to HONO Formation. (Master's Thesis)
- Xue, Huaxin (2009-05). Variation in Morphology, Hygroscopicity, and Optical Properties of Soot Particles Coated by Dicarboxylic Acids. (Master's Thesis)
- Li, Guohui (2008-08). Investigation of the aerosol-cloud interaction using the WRF framework. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zhao, Jun (2007-12). Experimental and theoretical investigation of nucleation and growth of atmospheric aerosols. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Fan, Jiwen (2007-08). Effects of aerosols on deep convective cumulus clouds. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Levitt, Nicholas Paul (2007-05). Heterogeneous organic acid uptake on soot surfaces. (Master's Thesis)
- Fortner, Edward Charles (2006-12). Airborne and ground based measurements of volatile organic compounds using proton transfer reaction mass spectrometry in Texas and Mexico City. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zhang, Dan (2003-05). Laboratory investigation of chemical and physical properties of soot-containing aerosols. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Suh, Inseon (2003-05). Photochemistry of aromatic hydrocarbons: implications for ozone and secondary organic aerosol formation. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Meteorology; 3150 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-3150