- Clinical Associate Professor, Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
Dr. Tolbert's clinical research program is focused on small animal gastroenterology with a specific interest in the investigation of the efficacy of anti-secretory drugs and gastroprotectants and the rationale for their use in the treatment of acid-related disorders, organ failure, and inflammatory diseases in companion animals. Her basic science research program is dedicated to characterizing the pathogenic mechanisms of feline Tritrichomonas foetus infection and exploring novel therapies to prevent and/or ameliorate T. foetus-induced colitis.
- Ph.D. in Comparative Biomedical Sciences, North Carolina State University - (Raleigh, North Carolina, United States) 2013
- D.V.M. in , University of Georgia - (Athens, Georgia, United States) 2006
- B.S. in Animal Science, Berry College - (Mount Berry, Georgia, United States) 2001
- Sims, C. S., Nagle, J., Tolbert, M. K., Anderson, K., Linder, K., & Neel, J. (2022). Correlation of cytology to histology in a case of canine granulomatous colitis in a Boxer dog. Veterinary Clinical Pathology. 50(S1), 83-87.
- Mehra, J. M., Tolbert, M. K., Moore, G. E., & Lewis, M. J. (2021). Clinical Features and Risk Factors for Gastrointestinal Complications in Dogs Treated Surgically for Thoracolumbar Intervertebral Disc Extrusion. Frontiers in Veterinary Science. 8, 785228.
- Telles, N. J., Simon, B. T., Scallan, E. M., Gould, E. N., Papich, M. G., He, Y., ... Katherine Tolbert, M (2021). Evaluation of gastrointestinal transit times and pH in healthy cats using a continuous pH monitoring system. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery. 1098612X2110620-1098612X2110620.
- Spencer, A., Quimby, J. M., Price, J. M., MacLane, S., Hillsman, S., Secoura, P., Steiner, J. M., & Katherine Tolbert, M. (2021). Appetite‐stimulating effects of once‐daily omeprazole in cats with chronic kidney disease: Double‐blind, placebo‐controlled, randomized, crossover trial. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 35(6), 2705-2712.
- Langlois, D. K., Tolbert, M. K., Webb, C. B., Lennon, E. M., Flatland, B., Wennogle, S., ... Steiner, J. M. (2021). Letter regarding “Utility of the combined use of 3 serologic markers in the diagnosis and monitoring of chronic enteropathies in dogs”. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 35(6), 2567-2569.
- Tolbert, K., & Gould, E. (2020). Gastritis and Gastric Ulceration in Dogs and Cats. Clinical Small Animal Internal Medicine. 547-555. Wiley.
- Tolbert, M. K. (2019). Fecal Incontinence. Cote, E., & Cohn, L. (Eds.), Cote's Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Dogs and Cats. Elsevier.
- Tolbert, M. K. (2019). Hematochezia. Cote, E., & Cohn, L. (Eds.), Cote's Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Dogs and Cats. Elsevier.
- Tolbert, M. K. (2019). Melena. Cote, E., & Cohn, L. (Eds.), Cote's Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Dogs and Cats. Elsevier.
- Tolbert, M. K. (2017). Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Ettinger, S. J., Feldman, E. C., & Cote, E. (Eds.), Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine Expert Consult, 8th Edition. 437-440. Elsevier, Inc..
- The burning truth: Gastric hyperacidity in canine CKD? A pilot study awarded by NCSU CVM 2019 - 2020