Dr. Tolbert's clinical research program is focused on small animal gastroenterology with a specific interest in the investigation of the efficacy of anti-secretory drugs and gastroprotectants and the rationale for their use in the treatment of acid-related disorders, organ failure, and inflammatory diseases in companion animals. Her basic science research program is dedicated to characterizing the pathogenic mechanisms of feline Tritrichomonas foetus infection and exploring novel therapies to prevent and/or ameliorate T. foetus-induced colitis.
- Ph.D. in Comparative Biomedical Sciences, North Carolina State University - (Raleigh, North Carolina, United States) 2013
- D.V.M. in , University of Georgia - (Athens, Georgia, United States) 2006
- B.S. in Animal Science, Berry College - (Mount Berry, Georgia, United States) 2001
- Tolbert, M. K., Spencer, A., Lynch, A. M., Papich, M. G., & Lidbury, J. A. (2020). Capsule endoscopy detects insufficient treatment of gastric bleeding in a dog with chronic hepatitis. Veterinary Record Case Reports. 8(4), e001238-e001238.
- Tolbert, M. K. (2020). Gastroprotective Therapy. Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice. 51(1), 33-41.
- Ryan, P., Odunayo, A., Price, J., Hecht, S., Hillsman, S., Galyon, G., Steiner, J., & Tolbert, M. K. (2020). Comparative analysis of the effect of PO administered acid suppressants on gastric pH in healthy cats. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 34(5), 1879-1885.
- Jones, S. M., Gaier, A., Enomoto, H., Ishii, P., Pilla, R., Price, J., ... Tolbert, M. K. (2020). The effect of combined carprofen and omeprazole administration on gastrointestinal permeability and inflammation in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 34(5), 1886-1893.
- Smith, P., Tolbert, M. K., Gould, E., Taylor, A., Knych, H., & Messenger, K. (2020). Pharmacokinetics, sedation and hemodynamic changes following the administration of oral transmucosal detomidine gel in cats. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery. 22(12), 1184-1190.
- Tolbert, K., & Gould, E. (2020). Gastritis and Gastric Ulceration in Dogs and Cats. Clinical Small Animal Internal Medicine. (pp. 547-555). Wiley.
- Tolbert, M. K. (2019). Fecal Incontinence. Cote, E., & Cohn, L. (Eds.), Cote's Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Dogs and Cats. Elsevier.
- Tolbert, M. K. (2019). Hematochezia. Cote, E., & Cohn, L. (Eds.), Cote's Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Dogs and Cats. Elsevier.
- Tolbert, M. K. (2019). Melena. Cote, E., & Cohn, L. (Eds.), Cote's Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Dogs and Cats. Elsevier.
- Tolbert, M. K. (2017). Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Ettinger, S. J., Feldman, E. C., & Cote, E. (Eds.), Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine Expert Consult, 8th Edition. (pp. 437-440). Elsevier, Inc..
- The burning truth: Gastric hyperacidity in canine CKD? A pilot study awarded by NCSU CVM 2019 - 2020