My research questions relate to news media and politics, political communication, and the impact of changing communication technologies on media effects, public opinion, and political behavior. Most of my work has implications for civic literacy, engagement, and democratic deliberation. Broadly, I focus on questions such as: What makes news more or less informative? How are changes to the contemporary communication landscape influencing elite and mass linkages and political polarization? What are the effects of mobile communication on citizen news engagement and civic literacy? What are the causes and consequences of news bias toward women and racial and ethnic groups?
- Ph.D. in Political Science, Rice University - (Houston, Texas, United States) 2006
- M.A. in Political Science, Rice University - (Houston, Texas, United States) 2004
- M.A. in Political Science, University of North Texas - (Denton, Texas, United States) 2002
- B.A. in Political Science, University of North Texas - (Denton, Texas, United States) 1999
- Darr, J. P., Hitt, M. P., & Dunaway, J. L. (2018). Newspaper Closures Polarize Voting Behavior. Journal of Communication. 68(6), 1007-1028.
- Darr, J. P., & Dunaway, J. L. (2018). Resurgent Mass Partisanship Revisited: The Role of Media Choice in Clarifying Elite Ideology. American Politics Quarterly. 46(6), 943-970.
- Sui, M., Paul, N., Shah, P., Spurlock, B., Chastant, B., & Dunaway, J. (2018). The Role of Minority Journalists, Candidates, and Audiences in Shaping Race-Related Campaign News Coverage. JOURNALISM & MASS COMMUNICATION QUARTERLY. 95(4), 1079-1102.
- Turcotte, J., Kirzinger, A., Dunaway, J., & Goidel, K. (2017). The Many Layers of Local: Proximity and Market Influence on News Coverage of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill. Social Science Quarterly. 98(3), 993-1009.
- Sui, M., Dunaway, J., Sobek, D., Abad, A., Goodman, L., & Saha, P. (2017). US News Coverage of Global Terrorist Incidents. Mass Communication and Society. 20(6), 895-908.
- Dunaway, J. L., Searles, K., Fowler, E. F., & Ridout, T. N. (2018). Political Advertising. Napoli, P. M. (Eds.), Mediated Communication. Walter de Gruyter.
- Dunaway, J., Searles, K., Sui, M., & Paul, N. (2018). The Move to Mobile. Ridout, T. N. (Eds.), New Directions in Media and Politics, 2nd Ed. (pp. 143-157). Routledge.
- COMM302 Mass Media & Politics Instructor
- COMM365 International Comm Instructor
- COMM375 Media Audiences Instructor
- COMM407 Women Min & Mass Media Instructor
- COMM415 New Media Civil Society Instructor
- COMM491 Research Instructor
- COMM662 Survey Media Studies Instructor
- COMM685 Directed Studies Instructor
- COMM691 Research Instructor
- COMM691 Research: In-ab Instructor
- JOUR365 International Comm Instructor
- POLS302 Mass Media & Politics Instructor
- WGST407 Women Min & Mass Media Instructor