education and training
- Ph.D. in Classics, University of Minnesota - (Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States) 1981
- M.A. in Classics, University of Minnesota - (Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States) 1976
- B.S. in Latin Education, University of Minnesota - (Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States) 1974
- OBERHELMAN, S. M. (1981). The interpretation of prescriptive dreams in ancient Greek medicine.. Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences. 36(4), 416-424.
- Oberhelman, S. M. (1980). Prolegomena to the Byzantine "Oneirokritika". Byzantion: revue internationale des etudes byzantines. 50, 487-504.
- Oberhelman, S. M. (1979). A Survey of Dreams in Ancient Greece. Classical Bulletin. 55, 36-40.
- Oberhelman, S. (1977). Popular Dream‐Interpretation in Ancient Greece and Freudian Psycholanalysis. The Journal of Popular Culture. 11(3), 682-695.
- Oberhelman, S. M. (2013). Dreams, healing, and medicine in Greece: From antiquity to the present.
- Oberhelman, S. M. (2013). Dreambooks in byzantium: Six oneirocritica in translation, with commentary and introduction. Routledge.
- Oberhelman, S. M. (2008). Dreambooks in Byzantium: Six oneirocritica in translation, with commentary and introduction.
- Oberhelman, S. M. (2003). Prose Rhythm in Latin Literature of the Roman Empire First Century B.C. to Fourth Century A.D..
- Oberhelman, S. M. (1991). Rhetoric and homiletics in fourth-century Christian literature prose rhythm, oratorical style, and preaching in the works of Ambrose, Jerome, and Augustine. Scholars Pr.
- Oberhelman, S. M. (1980). Greek and Roman Witches: Literary Conventions or Agrarian Fertility Priestesses?. Schroeder, F. (Eds.), 5000 Years of Popular Culture Popular Culture Before Printing. (pp. 136-153). Popular Press.
- (2016). Dreams, Healing, and Medicine in Greece From Antiquity to the Present. Routledge.
- (1994). Epic and epoch: essays on the interpretation and history of a genre. Texas Tech University Press.
- (2014). Studies on Mediterranean Culture and History: From the Middle Ages through the Early Modern Period. Athens Institute for Education and Research.
awards and honors
recent teaching activities
Texas A&M University; International Studies Department; 4215 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4215