Dr. Crosby's area of research is plant breeding and genetics of vegetable crops. He has worked on melon, pepper, tomato, onion and carrot. The main emphasis of his research has been the elucidation of genetic mechanisms for stress tolerance and enhanced nutritional quality. Dr. Crosby has discovered several novel traits and studied their inheritance in both melon and pepper. These range from root physiology and vigor to virus and insect resistance. His program also has developed a genetic linkage map of melon with DNA markers linked to several key traits. The development of thousands of novel families for genetic studies has also produced elite breeding lines for commercial seed companies and 9 cultivar releases. In addition, Dr. Crosby has developed unique, high antioxidant pepper lines with flavonoid and ascorbic acid levels more than 400% higher than commercial cultivars.
- Sharma, S. P., Leskovar, D. I., Crosby, K. M., & Ibrahim, A. (2020). GGE Biplot Analysis of Genotype-by-environment Interactions for Melon Fruit Yield and Quality Traits. HORTSCIENCE. 55(4), 533-542.
- Lee, J. H., Kasote, D. M., Jayaprakasha, G. K., Avila, C. A., Crosby, K. M., & Patil, B. S. (2020). Effect of production system and inhibitory potential of aroma volatiles on polyphenol oxidase and peroxidase activity in tomatoes. JOURNAL OF THE SCIENCE OF FOOD AND AGRICULTURE.
- Kasote, D. M., Jayaprakasha, G. K., Singh, J., Ong, K., Crosby, K. M., & Patil, B. S. (2020). Metabolomics-based biomarkers of Fusarium wilt disease in watermelon plants. Journal of Plant Diseases and Protection. 127(4), 591-596.
- Acharya, P., Jayaprakasha, G. K., Crosby, K. M., Jifon, J. L., & Patil, B. S. (2020). Nanoparticle-Mediated Seed Priming Improves Germination, Growth, Yield, and Quality of Watermelons (Citrullus lanatus) at multi-locations in Texas. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 10(1), 5037.
- Perez, J. L., Jayaprakasha, G. K., Crosby, K., & Patil, B. S. (2019). Evaluation of bitter melon (Momordica charantia) cultivars grown in Texas and levels of various phytonutrients. JOURNAL OF THE SCIENCE OF FOOD AND AGRICULTURE. 99(1), 379-390.
- Leskovar, D. I., Crosby, K. M., Palma, M. A., & Edelstein, M. (2014). Vegetable Crops: Linking Production, Breeding and Marketing. Horticulture: Plants for People and Places, Volume 1. (pp. 75-96). Springer Netherlands.
- Crosby, K., Jifon, J., & Leskovar, D. (2008). Agronomy and the nutritional quality of vegetables. Improving the Health-Promoting Properties of Fruit and Vegetable Products. (pp. 392-411). Elsevier.
- Kasote, D. M., Jayaprakasha, G. K., Ong, K., Crosby, K. M., & Patil, B. S. (2019). Fusarium Wilt in Watermelon: Potential Metabolite Biomarkers to Help Select Breeding Resistant Varieties. HORTSCIENCE. 54(9), S399-S399.
- McCreight, J. D., Wintermantel, W. M., Natwick, E. T., Sinclair, J. W., Crosby, K. M., & Gómez-Guillamón, M. L. (2017). Recessive resistance to CYSDV in melon TGR 1551. PROCEEDINGS OF THE IVTH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ROSE RESEARCH AND CULTIVATION. 1151(1151), 101-108.
- Perry, S. M., Crosby, K. M., Alabi, O. J., Jifon, J. L., & Leskovar, D. (2017). Multiple Pathogen Resistance Breeding in Capsicum spp.. HORTSCIENCE. 52(9), S43-S43.
- Sharma, S. P., Leskovar, D. I., Crosby, K. C., Ibraim, A., & Volder, A. (2016). Differential response of muskmelon (Cucumis melo L.) cultivars to deficit irrigation. PROCEEDINGS OF THE IVTH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ROSE RESEARCH AND CULTIVATION. 1112(1112), 201-207.
- Alabi, O. J., Al Rwahnih, M., Jifon, J. L., Gregg, L., Crosby, K. M., & Mirkov, E. T. (2015). First report of Pepper vein yellows virus infecting pepper (Capsicum spp.) in the United States. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 105(11), 5-5.
- Chaudhary, Shima (2018-12). Incidence, Distribution, and Epidemiology of Phytophthora Diseases of Citrus in South Texas and Their Interaction with Huanglongbing. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Qin, Kuan (2017-12). Bell Pepper Growth Responses and Soil Environmental Changes to Humic Substances and Deficit Irrigation. (Master's Thesis)
- Macias Leon, Maria Andrea (2017-12). Plant Growth Regulators and Transplant Management Effects on Germination, Root Traits, Yield and Quality. (Master's Thesis)
- Chi, Nai-Ning (2017-12). Genetic Analysis and Heritability Estimates for Heat-Tolerance Traits in Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L. ). (Master's Thesis)
- Xie, Limeng (2016-12). SNP Discovery and Mapping QTLS Associated with Root Traits and Morphological Traits in Tomato. (Master's Thesis)