Dr. Zhang's long-term goal is to decode genetic events and molecular interactions of biological processes, and rigorously represent the complex molecular behaviors with mathematical models. We use advanced high-throughput technology and robust stochastic models to obtain the systematic picture of a biological process. Multiple types of omics data, such as microarray, RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, lipidomics and proteomics are collected through innovative study designs in animals and humans, and are modeled for integrative analysis. Using embryonic mouse as a model system, one of our current focuses is to untangle the spatial and dynamic gene-gene interaction networks during heart development, and illustrate how environmental factors introduce adverse molecular changes and morphological defects. We are also investigating the transgenerational epigenetic variations carried from overweight mother to the offspring, and how the change of lifestyles would prevent childhood obesity.
- Ph.D. in Statistics (Bioinformatics), Kansas State University - (Manhattan, Kansas, United States) 2008
- M.S. in Computer Science (Computational Biology), Kansas State University - (Manhattan, Kansas, United States) 2004
- B.S. in Biochemistry, Wuhan University - (Wuhan, China) 1996
- Wang, S. Z., Ibrahim, L. A., Kim, Y. J., Gibson, D. A., Leung, H. C., Yuan, W., ... Zhang, L. I. (2013). Slit/Robo signaling mediates spatial positioning of spiral ganglion neurons during development of cochlear innervation. The Journal of Neuroscience. 33(30), 12242-12254.
- Zhang, K. K., Arabnia, H. R., Wang, Y., & Deng, Y. (2013). The current trend of genomics research for human diseases. BMC Medical Genomics. 6(SUPPL.1), S1.
- Qin, W., Zhang, K., Kliethermes, B., Ruhlen, R. L., Browne, E. P., Arcaro, K. F., & Sauter, E. R. (2012). Differential expression of cancer associated proteins in breast milk based on age at first full term pregnancy.. BMC CANCER. 12(1), 100.
- Arcaro, K. F., Browne, E. P., Qin, W., Zhang, K., Anderton, D. L., & Sauter, E. R. (2012). Differential expression of cancer-related proteins in paired breast milk samples from women with breast cancer. Journal of Human Lactation. 28(4), 543-546.
- Qin, W., Gui, G., Zhang, K., Twelves, D., Kliethermes, B., & Sauter, E. R. (2012). Proteins and carbohydrates in nipple aspirate fluid predict the presence of atypia and cancer in women requiring diagnostic breast biopsy. BMC CANCER. 12(1), 52.