Dr. Zhang's long-term goal is to decode genetic events and molecular interactions of biological processes, and rigorously represent the complex molecular behaviors with mathematical models. We use advanced high-throughput technology and robust stochastic models to obtain the systematic picture of a biological process. Multiple types of omics data, such as microarray, RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, lipidomics and proteomics are collected through innovative study designs in animals and humans, and are modeled for integrative analysis. Using embryonic mouse as a model system, one of our current focuses is to untangle the spatial and dynamic gene-gene interaction networks during heart development, and illustrate how environmental factors introduce adverse molecular changes and morphological defects. We are also investigating the transgenerational epigenetic variations carried from overweight mother to the offspring, and how the change of lifestyles would prevent childhood obesity.
- Ph.D. in Statistics (Bioinformatics), Kansas State University - (Manhattan, Kansas, United States) 2008
- M.S. in Computer Science (Computational Biology), Kansas State University - (Manhattan, Kansas, United States) 2004
- B.S. in Biochemistry, Wuhan University - (Wuhan, China) 1996
- Rousova, J., Kusler, K., Liyanage, D., Leadbetter, M., Dongari, N., Zhang, K. K., ... KubÃ¡tovÃ¡, A. (2016). Determination of trans-resveratrol and its metabolites in rat serum using liquid chromatography with high-resolution time of flight mass spectrometry. Journal of chromatography. B, Analytical technologies in the biomedical and life sciences. 1039, 35-43.
- Zhang, W., Yu, Y., Hertwig, F., Thierry-Mieg, J., Zhang, W., Thierry-Mieg, D., ... Fischer, M. (2015). Comparison of RNA-seq and microarray-based models for clinical endpoint prediction. Genome Biol. 16(1), 133.
- Zhang, K. K., Xiang, M., Zhou, L., Liu, J., Curry, N., Heine SuÃ±er, D., ... Xie, L. (2015). Gene network and familial analyses uncover a gene network involving Tbx5/Osr1/Pcsk6 interaction in the second heart field for atrial septation. Human Molecular Genetics. 25(6), 1140-1151.
- Zhou, L., Liu, J., Olson, P., Zhang, K., Wynne, J., & Xie, L. (2015). Tbx5 and Osr1 interact to regulate posterior second heart field cell cycle progression for cardiac septation. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 85, 1-12.
- Su, Z., Labaj, P. P., Li, S., Thierry-Mieg, J., Thierry-Mieg, D., Shi, W., ... Shi, L. (2014). A comprehensive assessment of RNA-seq accuracy, reproducibility and information content by the Sequencing Quality Control Consortium. NATURE BIOTECHNOLOGY. 32(9), 903-914.