My research interests include tribology, nanotechnology, microtribology related to miniature systems, magnetic storage, surface characterization, friction/vibration interaction, system dynamics and modeling, and experimental design and instrumentation. Specifically, I study micro/nanotribology of magnetic head disk interfaces and microelectromechanical systems. Recent emphasis has been on the tribology of devices for reduced energy and improved environmental-related impact, such as the use of carbon dioxide as a natural refrigerant and the use of surface treatments towards oil-lees machine operation.
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University at Buffalo, State University of New York - (Buffalo, New York, United States) 1994
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University at Buffalo, State University of New York - (Buffalo, New York, United States) 1992
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University at Buffalo, State University of New York - (Buffalo, New York, United States) 1990
- Gheisari, R., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2020). Effect of surface microtexturing on seawater-lubricated contacts under starved and fully-flooded conditions. TRIBOLOGY INTERNATIONAL. 148, 106339-106339.
- Lan, P., Gheisari, R., Meyer, J. L., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2020). Surface Micro-texturing by Hot Sintering for Advanced Bearing Polymers for Friction Reduction Under Boundary Lubrication. International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing. 21(6), 1025-1034.
- Bashandeh, K., Humood, M., Lee, J., Han, M., Cui, Y., Shi, Y., ... Polycarpou, A. A. (2020). The effect of defects on the cyclic behavior of polymeric 3D kirigami structures. Extreme Mechanics Letters. 36, 100650-100650.
- Gheisari, R., Lan, P., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2020). Efficacy of surface microtexturing in enhancing the tribological performance of polymeric surfaces under starved lubricated conditions. Society of Plastics Engineers - 14th-Annual SPE TPO Automotive Engineered Polyolefins Conference. 444-445, 203162-203162.
- Salari, S., Rahman, S., Polycarpou, A. A., & Beheshti, A. (2020). Elevated temperature mechanical properties of Inconel 617 surface oxide using nanoindentation. Materials Science and Engineering A. 788, 139539-139539.
- Schmid, S. R., Jao, T., Verhelst, A., Huebner, M., Young, L. A., Pan, C. H., ... Ai, X. (2013). Machine Failure Monitoring (MFM). Encyclopedia of Tribology. (pp. 2159-2159). Springer Us.
- Katta, R. R., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2013). Microtribodynamics of Magnetic Storage Hard Disk Drives. Encyclopedia of Tribology. (pp. 2244-2256). Springer Us.
- Lee, C., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2012). Dynamic Friction Characterization and Modeling of Tripod Constant Velocity Joints. Automotive Lubricants and Testing. (pp. 437-453). ASTM International.
- Yeo, S., Polycarpou, A., Tseregounis, S., Tavassolian, N., & Papapolymerou, J. (2011). Characterization and Adhesion of Interacting Surfaces in Capacitive RF MEMS Switches Undergoing Cycling. Adhesion Aspects in MEMS/NEMS. (pp. 285-307). CRC Press.
- Katta, R. R., Polycarpou, A. A., Lee, S., & Suk, M. (2010). Experimental and FEA Scratch Correlation of Magnetic Signal Degradation in Magnetic Storage Thin-Film Disks. 407-410.
- Lorenzo-Martin, C., Ajayi, O. O., Lee, J., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2010). Frictional Behavior of Boundary Lubricated Contacts: Effect of Tribochemical Surface Films. 79-81.
- Nunez, E. E., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2010). Tribological Performance of Polymer Coatings in Carbon Dioxide Refrigerant Environment. 119-121.
- Dascalescu, D., Polychronopoulou, K., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2009). Effect of substrate material on the tribological performance of PTFE-based polymeric coatings in a CO
- Sawyer, W. G., & Polycarpou, A. (2009). 2008 Proceedings of the STLE/ASME International Joint Tribology Conference, IJTC 2008: Welcome from the Chairs.