My research interests include tribology, nanotechnology, microtribology related to miniature systems, magnetic storage, surface characterization, friction/vibration interaction, system dynamics and modeling, and experimental design and instrumentation. Specifically, I study micro/nanotribology of magnetic head disk interfaces and microelectromechanical systems. Recent emphasis has been on the tribology of devices for reduced energy and improved environmental-related impact, such as the use of carbon dioxide as a natural refrigerant and the use of surface treatments towards oil-lees machine operation.
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University at Buffalo, State University of New York - (Buffalo, New York, United States) 1994
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University at Buffalo, State University of New York - (Buffalo, New York, United States) 1992
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University at Buffalo, State University of New York - (Buffalo, New York, United States) 1990
- Yu, N., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2001). Contact of rough surfaces with asymmetric distribution of asperity heights. (69), 1-10.
- Polycarpou, A. A., & Etsion, I. (2000). A Model for the Static Sealing Performance of Compliant Metallic Gas Seals Including Surface Roughness and Rarefaction Effects. Tribology Transactions. 43(2), 237-244.
- Hanchi, J., Polycarpou, A. A., & Boutaghou, Z. (1999). Tribology of contacting head-disk interfaces. 9, 17-22.
- Polycarpou, A. A., & Etsion, I. (1999). Analytical Approximations in Modeling Contacting Rough Surfaces. Proceedings of STLE/ASME International Joint Tribology Conference, IJTC 2006. 121(2), 234-239.
- Polycarpou, A. A., & Etsion, I. (1998). Comparison of the Static Friction Subboundary Lubrication Model with Experimental Measurements on Thin-Film Disks. Tribology Transactions. 41(2), 217-224.
- Schmid, S. R., Jao, T., Verhelst, A., Huebner, M., Young, L. A., Pan, C. H., ... Ai, X. (2013). Machine Failure Monitoring (MFM). Encyclopedia of Tribology. (pp. 2159-2159). Springer Us.
- Katta, R. R., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2013). Microtribodynamics of Magnetic Storage Hard Disk Drives. Encyclopedia of Tribology. (pp. 2244-2256). Springer Us.
- Lee, C., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2012). Dynamic Friction Characterization and Modeling of Tripod Constant Velocity Joints. Automotive Lubricants and Testing. (pp. 437-453). ASTM International.
- Yeo, S., Polycarpou, A., Tseregounis, S., Tavassolian, N., & Papapolymerou, J. (2011). Characterization and Adhesion of Interacting Surfaces in Capacitive RF MEMS Switches Undergoing Cycling. Adhesion Aspects in MEMS/NEMS. (pp. 285-307). CRC Press.
- Vakis, A. I., Lee, S., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2009). Dynamic Head-Disk Interface Instabilities with Friction for Light Contact (Surfing) Recording. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics. 45(11), 4966-4971.
- Katta, R. R., Polycarpou, A. A., Hanchi, J. V., & Crone, R. M. (2009). Elastic/Plastic Oblique Impact Analysis for Head Disk Interface Operational Shock. 693-696.
- Solzak, T. A., Polycarpou, A. A., & ASME, .. (2009). TRIBOLOGY OF COATINGS FOR USE IN OIL-LESS SWASHPLATE COMPRESSORS. 3, 501-508.
- Demas, N. G., Polycarpou, A. A., Polychronopoulou, K., & Rebholz, C. (2009). Tribological Behavior of CrN and Al-Cr-N Coatings. 769-771.
- De Mello, J., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2009). Abrasive Wear Mechanisms of Multi Component Ferrous Alloys Abraded by Soft, Fine Abrasive Particles. 388-389.