My research interests include tribology, nanotechnology, microtribology related to miniature systems, magnetic storage, surface characterization, friction/vibration interaction, system dynamics and modeling, and experimental design and instrumentation. Specifically, I study micro/nanotribology of magnetic head disk interfaces and microelectromechanical systems. Recent emphasis has been on the tribology of devices for reduced energy and improved environmental-related impact, such as the use of carbon dioxide as a natural refrigerant and the use of surface treatments towards oil-lees machine operation.
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University at Buffalo, State University of New York - (Buffalo, New York, United States) 1994
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University at Buffalo, State University of New York - (Buffalo, New York, United States) 1992
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University at Buffalo, State University of New York - (Buffalo, New York, United States) 1990
- Gheisari, R., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2020). Effect of surface microtexturing on seawater-lubricated contacts under starved and fully-flooded conditions. TRIBOLOGY INTERNATIONAL. 148, 106339-106339.
- Lan, P., Gheisari, R., Meyer, J. L., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2020). Surface Micro-texturing by Hot Sintering for Advanced Bearing Polymers for Friction Reduction Under Boundary Lubrication. International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing. 21(6), 1025-1034.
- Bashandeh, K., Humood, M., Lee, J., Han, M., Cui, Y., Shi, Y., ... Polycarpou, A. A. (2020). The effect of defects on the cyclic behavior of polymeric 3D kirigami structures. Extreme Mechanics Letters. 36, 100650-100650.
- Gheisari, R., Lan, P., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2020). Efficacy of surface microtexturing in enhancing the tribological performance of polymeric surfaces under starved lubricated conditions. Society of Plastics Engineers - 14th-Annual SPE TPO Automotive Engineered Polyolefins Conference. 444-445, 203162-203162.
- Salari, S., Rahman, S., Polycarpou, A. A., & Beheshti, A. (2020). Elevated temperature mechanical properties of Inconel 617 surface oxide using nanoindentation. Materials Science and Engineering A. 788, 139539-139539.
- Schmid, S. R., Jao, T., Verhelst, A., Huebner, M., Young, L. A., Pan, C. H., ... Ai, X. (2013). Machine Failure Monitoring (MFM). Encyclopedia of Tribology. (pp. 2159-2159). Springer Us.
- Katta, R. R., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2013). Microtribodynamics of Magnetic Storage Hard Disk Drives. Encyclopedia of Tribology. (pp. 2244-2256). Springer Us.
- Lee, C., & Polycarpou, A. A. (2012). Dynamic Friction Characterization and Modeling of Tripod Constant Velocity Joints. Automotive Lubricants and Testing. (pp. 437-453). ASTM International.
- Yeo, S., Polycarpou, A., Tseregounis, S., Tavassolian, N., & Papapolymerou, J. (2011). Characterization and Adhesion of Interacting Surfaces in Capacitive RF MEMS Switches Undergoing Cycling. Adhesion Aspects in MEMS/NEMS. (pp. 285-307). CRC Press.
- Polycarpou, A. A., & Etsion, I. (1998). Analytical approximations in modeling contacting rough surfaces. American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Paper). (98 -TRIB-1-61), 1-6.
- Polycarpou, A. A., & Etsion, I. (1997). Static friction of contacting real surfaces in the presence of sub-boundary lubrication. American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Paper).
- Polycarpou, A. A., Etsion, I., & ENGINEERS, S. (1997). Comparison of the static friction subboundary lubrication model with experimental measurements on thin-film disks. 141-148.
- Polycarpou, A. A., & Soom, A. (1995). Two-component mixed friction model for a lubricated line contact. American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Paper).
- Polycarpou, A., & Soom, A. (1992). Transitions between sticking and slipping at lubricated line contacts. 49, 139-148.