My research focuses on the use of technology to bring student-centered learning approaches, such as problem-based learning and student-directed inquiry, to K-16 environments.
education and training
- Pedersen, S., & Irby, T. (2014). The VELscience project: Middle schoolers' engagement in student-directed inquiry within a virtual environment for learning. Computers & Education. 71, 33-42.
- Chen, C., & Pedersen, S. (2012). Learners’ internal management of cognitive processing in online learning. Innovations in Education and Teaching International. 49(4), 363-373.
- Bulu, S. T., & Pedersen, S. (2012). Supporting problem-solving performance in a hypermedia learning environment: The role of students’ prior knowledge and metacognitive skills. Computers in Human Behavior. 28(4), 1162-1169.
- Chen, C., Pedersen, S., & Murphy, K. L. (2012). The influence of perceived information overload on student participation and knowledge construction in computer-mediated communication. Instructional Science. 40(2), 325-349.
- Wu, H., & Pedersen, S. (2011). Integrating computer- and teacher-based scaffolds in science inquiry. Computers & Education. 57(4), 2352-2363.
- Samsonov, P., Pedersen, S., & Hill, C. L. (2006). Using Problem-Based Learning Software with At-Risk Students. Type II Uses of Technology in Education: Projects, Case Studies, and Software Applications. (pp. 111-124). Informa UK Limited.
- Butler-Purry, K. L., Oren, M., Pedersen, S., Foreman, J., Obiomon, P., & Katangur, A. K. (2016). Improving learning of digital systems concepts using a video game. 2012 ASEE ANNUAL CONFERENCE. 2016-June,
- Butler-Purry, K., Srinivasan, V., & Pedersen, S. (2009). Video game for enhancing learning in Digital Systems courses.
- Butler-Purry, K., Srinivasan, V., & Pedersen, S. (2009). Video game for enhancing learning in Digital Systems courses. 2012 ASEE ANNUAL CONFERENCE.
- Srinivasan, V., Butler-Purry, K., & Pedersen, S. (2008). Using video games to enhance learning in digital systems. 196-199.
- Pedersen, S., Williams, D., & Bulu, S. T. (2004). Teachers' beliefs underlying their assessment practices in a problem-based learning activity. 3701-3706.
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Thomas, Shemesha Shenay (2016-05). An Examination of the Factors that Influence African American Females to Pursue Postsecondary and Secondary Information Communications Technology Education. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Green, Martha Robison (2011-05). Teaching the Writing Process through Digital Storytelling in Pre-service Education. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Fitzpatrick, Robbie Reese (2010-08). The Impact of Integrated Humor on Memory Retention and Recall Aspects of Adult Learning. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wu, Hui-Ling (2010-05). Scaffolding in Technology-Enhanced Science Education. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Seifert, Kathryn A. (2008-08). The Impact of a Metacognitive Reflection Component in a Problem-Based Learning Unit. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Educational Psychology; 4225 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4225