- Research Assistant Professor, Institute of Biosciences and Technology, School of Medicine
I obtained my Ph.D. with a major in Bioinorganic Chemistry, focusing on metallodrugs against cancer and Alzheimer's disease (AD). After then, I worked at the Institute of Biosciences & Technology (IBT), Texas A&M University (TMAU) as a postdoc and research scientist dissecting and regulating Calcium Signaling by biochemistry, cell biology, and synthetic biology strategies. I accumulated strong research expertise on Ca2+ signaling in the immune system from mechanistic dissection of SOCE channels to tailoring cell functions using optical and chemical tools. I was promoted as a Research Assistant Professor in Oct 2020 to pursue my independent research program with interests in (i) Design and screening of Ca2+ channel modulators (compounds & peptide/protein drugs) to treat channelopathy or improve T cell immunotherapy; (ii) Delineate novel regulatory mechanisms of Ca2+ signaling in health and disease; (iii) Devise optogenetic, chemical and synthetic biology tools for translational research and biomedical applications. I have been engaged in the interface between chemistry and biology for almost 15 years, with specific training and expertise in Ca2+ imaging, protein engineering, protein chemistry, cell biology, and immunotherapy. So far, I have published 20+ publications as a lead author or corresponding author in well-respected journals, including Nature Communications, JACS, Angew Chem, Advanced Science, Chemical Science, eLife, and PLOS Biology with citations > 2000 times.
My current research interests:
1. Design and screening of CRAC Ca2+ channel modulators including small molecules, peptide/protein drugs, and antibody/nanobody to treat Channelopathy or improve T cell-based immunotherapy.
2. Delineate the regulatory network of the CRAC channel in healthy and diseased states
3. Devising optogenetic, chemical, and synthetic biology tools for precise control of cellular physiology
- Ph.D. in Inorganic Chemistry, University of Science and Technology of China - (Hefei, China) 2012
- S.B. in Chemistry, Liaocheng University - (Liaocheng, China) 2007
- Wu, Q., Gao, Z., Wei, Y., Ma, G., Zheng, Y., Dong, Y., & Liu, Y. (2014). Conserved residues that modulate protein trans-splicing of Npu DnaE split intein.. Biochem J. 461(2), 247-255.
- Ma, G., Wang, E., Wei, H., Wei, K., Zhu, P., & Liu, Y. (2013). PtCl2(phen) disrupts the metal ions binding to amyloid- peptide.. Metallomics. 5(7), 879-887.
- Wang, E., Xi, Z., Li, Y., Li, L., Zhao, L., Ma, G., & Liu, Y. (2013). Interaction between platinum complexes and the C-terminal motif of human copper transporter 1.. Inorg Chem. 52(10), 6153-6159.
- Min, Y., Mao, C., Chen, S., Ma, G., Wang, J., & Liu, Y. (2012). Combating the drug resistance of cisplatin using a platinum prodrug based delivery system.. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 51(27), 6742-6747.
- Li, Y., Li, L., Pu, X., Ma, G., Wang, E., Kong, J., Liu, Z., & Liu, Y. (2012). Synthesis of a ratiometric fluorescent peptide sensor for the highly selective detection of Cd2+.. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 22(12), 4014-4017.
- Ma, G., He, L., Jing, J. i., Tan, P., Huang, Y., & Zhou, Y. (2018). Engineered Cross-Linking to Study the Pore Architecture of the CRAC Channel.. CRAC CHANNEL: METHODS AND PROTOCOLS. 147-166. Springer Nature.
- Ma, G., Wen, S., Huang, Y., & Zhou, Y. (2017). The STIM-Orai Pathway: Light-Operated Ca2+ Entry Through Engineered CRAC Channels.. STORE-OPERATED CA2+ ENTRY (SOCE) PATHWAYS: EMERGING SIGNALING CONCEPTS IN HUMAN (PATHO)PHYSIOLOGY, 2ND EDITION. 117-138. Springer Nature.
- Gudlur, A., Zeraik, A. E., Hirve, N., Vangipurapu, R., Bobkov, A., Ma, G., ... Hogan, P. G. (2018). STIM1 Function Is Controlled by Multiple Ca2+ Binding Sites in its Luminal Domain. Biophysical Journal. 114(3), 285a-285a.
- Zhang, Q., He, L., Ma, G., & Zhou, Y. (2017). An Potogenentic Toolkit for Reversible Labeling and Remote Manipulation of Cytoskeleton In Situ. BIOPHYSICAL JOURNAL. 112(3), 430A-430A.
- Ma, G., He, L., Zhang, Q., & Zhou, Y. (2017). Optogenetic Dissection of STIM1 Conformational Switch and Oligomerization. BIOPHYSICAL JOURNAL. 112(3), 94A-94A.
- He, L., Zhang, Y., Ma, G., Tan, P., Wang, Y., Huang, Y., ... Zhou, Y. (2016). Near-Infrared Photoactivatable Control of Calcium Signaling. Biophysical Journal. 110(3), 360a-360a.
- Jing, J. i., He, L., Sun, A., Quintana, A., Ding, Y., Ma, G., ... Zhou, Y. (2016). Proteomic Mapping and Optogenetic Control of ER-PM Junctions in Living Cells. Biophysical Journal. 110(3), 258a-258a.