Dr. McCarl's recent research efforts have largely involved policy analysis (mainly in climate change, climate change mitigation, water economics, and biosecurity) as well as the proper application of quantitative methods to such analyses. He teaches graduate courses in applied mathematical programming and applied risk analysis. He was part of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
- Ph.D. in Management Science, minor in Industrial Engineering, Pennsylvania State University - (State College, Pennsylvania, United States) 1973
- B.S. in Business Statistics, University of Colorado Boulder - (Boulder, Colorado, United States) 1970
- Rhodes, L. A., & McCarl, B. A. (2020). An Analysis of Climate Impacts on Herbicide, Insecticide, and Fungicide Expenditures. Agronomy. 10(5), 745-745.
- Thayer, A. W., Vargas, A. M., Lacher, T. E., & McCarl, B. A. (2020). Disconnect within Agriculture and Ecosystem Climate Effects, Adaptations and Policy. Climate. 8(5), 63-63.
- Rhodes, L. A., & McCarl, B. A. (2020). The Value of Ocean Decadal Climate Variability Information to United States Agriculture. Atmosphere. 11(4), 318-318.
- Kung, C., & McCarl, B. A. (2020). The potential role of renewable electricity generation in Taiwan. Energy Policy. 138, 111227-111227.
- Thayer, A. W., Vargas, A., Castellanos, A. A., Lafon, C. W., McCarl, B. A., Roelke, D. L., Winemiller, K. O., & Lacher, T. E. (2020). Integrating Agriculture and Ecosystems to Find Suitable Adaptations to Climate Change. Climate. 8(1), 10-10.
- Council, N. R., Change, A., Studies, D., & Climate, B. (2010). Limiting the Magnitude of Future Climate Change. National Academies Press.
- Willey, Z. (2007). Harnessing Farms and Forests in the Low-carbon Economy How to Create, Measure, and Verify Greenhouse Gas Offsets. Duke University Press.
- McCarl, B. A., & Yang, Y. (2020). Economics. The Food-Energy-Water Nexus. (pp. 129-151). Springer International Publishing.
- Kinne, B., Magee, D., McCarl, B. A., Mohtar, R., Richardson, R. B., Ruddell, B. L., Saundry, P., & Treemore-Spears, L. (2020). Opportunities at the Nexus. The Food-Energy-Water Nexus. (pp. 587-611). Springer International Publishing.
- Arunanondchai, P., Fei, C., Fisher, A., McCarl, B. A., Wang, W., & Yang, Y. (2018). How does climate change affect agriculture?. The Routledge Handbook of Agricultural Economics. (pp. 191-210). Routledge.
- Arunanondchai, P., Fei, C., & McCarl, B. A. (2018). Adaptation in Agriculture. Climate Resilient Agriculture - Strategies and Perspectives. InTech.
- McCarl, B. A., & Callaway, J. M. (2018). Carbon Sequestration Through Tree Planting on Agricultural Lands. Soil Management and Greenhouse Effect. (pp. 329-350). CRC Press.
- Adams, R. M., Chang, C., McCarl, B. A., & Callaway, J. M. (2019). The Role of Agriculture in Climate Change: A Preliminary Evaluation of Emission-Control Strategies. 273-287.
- McCarl, B. A. (2017). Economics, Energy, Climate Change, and Soil Security. GLOBAL SOIL SECURITY. 195-205.
- Kung, C., McCarl, B. A., Chen, C., & Chen, L. (2014). Environmental Impact and Bioenergy Potential: Evaluation of Agricultural Commodity and Animal Waste Based Biochar Application on Taiwanese Set-aside Land. Energy Procedia. 61, 679-682.
- Koleva, N. G., Schneider, U. A., & McCarl, B. A. (2011). Pesticide externalities from the US agricultural sector – The impact of internalization, reduced pesticide application rates, and climate change. Procedia Environmental Sciences. 6, 153-161.
- Alig, R., Latta, G., Adams, D., & McCarl, B. (2010). Mitigating greenhouse gases: The importance of land base interactions between forests, agriculture, and residential development in the face of changes in bioenergy and carbon prices. Forest Policy and Economics. 12(1), 67-75.
- Federal Milk Marketing Order Econometric Pricing Model awarded by USDA - Agriculture Marketing Service 2019 - 2021
- Thayer, Anastasia (2018-12). Climate, Water, Water Markets, and Texas Agriculture: Three Essays. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Fan, Xinxin (2018-08). An Integrated Analysis of Federal Milk Marketing Order Price Differential Policy and Climate Change Effects in Dairy Industry. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Garcia, Trisha Margaret Paula (2018-08). Effectiveness and Efficiency of Polymers in Enhanced Oil Recovery of High Water Cut Reservoirs of Varying Salinities and Temperatures via Reservoir Simulations. (Master's Thesis)
- Wang, Zidong (2018-05). Three Essays on Climate Change, Renewable Energy and Agriculture in the US. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Cao, Jun (2017-05). An Economic Analysis Of Ghana's Savannah Accelerated Development Program. (Doctoral Dissertation)