My research examines innovative assessments and interventions to support access and instruction in academics for individuals with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). I examine explicit instruction procedures to teach literacy skills to ethnically and linguistically diverse minimally vocal-verbal children with ASD in public school settings. I am particularly interested in instructional design, group instructional arrangements, technology-delivered literacy instruction, and gaze-behaviors of children with ASD when engaged with technology-delivered literacy instruction.
- Laxmidas, K., Avra, C., Wilcoxen, C., Wallace, M., Spivey, R., Ray, S., ... Hammond, T. (2021). CommBo: Modernizing Augmentative and Alternative Communication. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies. 145, 102519-102519.
- Pierson, L. M., Thompson, J. L., Ganz, J. B., Wattanawongwan, S., Haas, A. N., & Yllades, V. (2020). Coaching Parents of Children With Developmental Disabilities to Implement a Modified Dialogic Reading Intervention Using Low Technology via Telepractice.. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology. 30(1), 119-136.
- Haas, A., Vannest, K., Thompson, J. L., Fuller, M. C., & Wattanawongwan, S. (2020). Peer-Mediated Instruction and Academic Outcomes for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Comparison of Quality Indicators. Mentoring & Tutoring Partnership in Learning. 28(5), 1-18.
- Gushanas, C. M., & Thompson, J. L. (2019). Effect of Self-Monitoring on Personal Hygiene Among Individuals With Developmental Disabilities Attending Postsecondary Education. Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals. 42(4), 203-213.
- Thompson, J. L., Plavnick, J. B., & Skibbe, L. E. (2019). Eye-Tracking Analysis of Attention to an Electronic Storybook for Minimally Verbal Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder. The Journal of Special Education. 53(1), 41-50.
- Wood, L., Thompson, J. L., & Root, J. (2016). Autism Spectrum Disorders. Autism Spectrum Disorders: Identification, Education, and Treatment: Fourth Edition. (pp. 211-241). Routledge.
- Travers, J. C., Tincani, M., Thompson, J. L., & Simpson, R. L. (2016). Picture Exchange Communication System and Facilitated Communication: Contrasting an Evidence-Based Practice with a Discredited Method Abstract. Instructional Practices with and without Empirical Validity. (pp. 85-110). Emerald Group Publishing Limited.