Dr. Laura Dague is an associate professor in the Public Service and Administration department in the Bush School of Government & Public Service at Texas A&M University. She earned a PhD in economics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where her doctoral fields of study were public economics and labor economics. She is currently an affiliated faculty investigator with the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute, a Health Policy Research Program Scholar with the Texas A&M School of Public Health, and holds a courtesy appointment in the Texas A&M Department of Economics.
Dr. Dague is an expert on Medicaid and the economics of public health insurance. Her recent publications focus on changes in the Medicaid program and their relation to federal health care reform, including how standalone Medicaid interacts with the Supplemental Security Income program. Current projects continue this work by considering how Medicaid enrollees respond to premiums, how temporary Medicaid coverage affects labor supply, and the effects of expanding Medicaid to nontraditional populations such as low-income adults without dependent children on outcomes such as retirement, mental health, and participation in other programs. Her work has been published in the American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, Journal of Public Economics, Journal of Health Economics, JAMA Network Open, Health Affairs, Health Services Research, Inquiry, and Medicaid and Medicare Research Review.
- Ph.D. in Economics, University of Wisconsin - Madison - (Madison, Wisconsin, United States) 2012
- M.S. in Economics, University of Wisconsin - Madison - (Madison, Wisconsin, United States) 2010
- B.A. in Mathematics and Economics, with Highest Distinction, University of Kansas - (Lawrence, Kansas, United States) 2007
- Dague, L., & Lahey, J. (2019). Causal Inference Methods: Lessons from Applied Microeconomics. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory. 29(3), 511-529.
- Saloner, B., Dague, L., Friedsam, D., Voskuil, K., Borrero, N. S., & Burns, M. (2019). Access to Care Among Individuals Who Experienced Medicaid Lockouts After Premium Nonpayment. JAMA Netw Open. 2(11), e1914561-e1914561.
- Soni, A., Burns, M. E., Dague, L., & Simon, K. I. (2017). Medicaid Expansion And State Trends In Supplemental Security Income Program Participation. HEALTH AFFAIRS. 36(8), 1485-1488.
- Dague, L., DeLeire, T., & Leininger, L. (2017). The Effect of Public Insurance Coverage for Childless Adults on Labor Supply. American Economic Journal: Economic Policy. 9(2), 124-154.
- Burns, M., & Dague, L. (2017). The effect of expanding Medicaid eligibility on Supplemental Security Income program participation. JOURNAL OF PUBLIC ECONOMICS. 149, 20-34.