My lab uses X-ray crystallography to better understand the relationship between proteins and ligands. Tiny differences in the structure of a molecule can radically change the interaction between a protein and ligand and we are only begining to understand how many factors play a role in this interaction. By manipulating the individual components of a compound it is possible to create a chemical that binds to the protein better than the natural substrate, and prevent the natural reaction from occurring. This is the basis for rational drug design. Our efforts have lead us to collaborations with other labs and scientists in many disciplines as our approach to directed compound design has applications not only in basic research but also in pesticide development, health research and clinical research.
- Brown, E. E., Miller, A. K., Krieger, I. V., Otto, R. M., Sacchettini, J. C., & Herman, J. K. (2019). A DNA-Binding Protein Tunes Septum Placement during Bacillus subtilis Sporulation. JOURNAL OF BACTERIOLOGY. 201(16),
- Dragset, M. S., Ioerger, T. R., Zhang, Y. J., Maerk, M., Ginbot, Z., Sacchettini, J. C., ... Steigedal, M. (2019). Genome-wide Phenotypic Profiling Identifies and Categorizes Genes Required for Mycobacterial Low Iron Fitness. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 9(1), 11394.
- Carey, A. F., Rock, J. M., Krieger, I. V., Chase, M. R., Fernandez-Suarez, M., Gagneux, S., ... Fortune, S. M. (2019). TnSeq of Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolates reveals strain-specific antibiotic liabilities (vol 14, e1006939, 2018). PLoS pathogens. 15(6), e1007846-e1007846.
- Farhat, M. R., Freschi, L., Calderon, R., Ioerger, T., Snyder, M., Meehan, C. J., ... Murray, M. (2019). GWAS for quantitative resistance phenotypes in Mycobacterium tuberculosis reveals resistance genes and regulatory regions.. Nature Communications. 10(1), 2128.
- Crespo, R. A., Dang, Q., Zhou, N. E., Guthrie, L. M., Snavely, T. C., Dong, W., ... Sacchettini, J. C. (2019). Structure-Guided Drug Design of 6-Substituted Adenosine Analogues as Potent Inhibitors of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Adenosine Kinase. JOURNAL OF MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY. 62(9), 4483-4499.
- Musa, T. L., Ioerger, T. R., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2009). THE TUBERCULOSIS STRUCTURAL GENOMICS CONSORTIUM: A STRUCTURAL GENOMICS APPROACH TO DRUG DISCOVERY. Advances in protein chemistry and structural biology. STRUCTURAL GENOMICS, PART C. (pp. 41-76).
- Reddy, M., Sacchettini, J. C., Zhou, N. E., & Mccutchen, B. F. (2019). Compositions and methods for inhibition of mycobacteria.
- Sacchettini, J. C., Miller, M. W., Wallis, D., Zhou, N. E., & Fossum, T. W. (2019). Compositions and methods for drug sensitization of parasites.
- Sacchettini, J., Zhou, N., Baker, D., Maxwell, S., & Wallis, D. (2018). Compositions and methods for drug-sensitization or inhibition of a cancer cell.
- Rao, J., Cirillo, J., Xie, H., & Sacchettini, J. (2017). ?-lactamase substrates and methods of their use for the diagnosis of tuberculosis.
- Rao, J., Cirillo, J. D., Xie, H., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2017). β-lactamase substrates and methods of their use for the diagnosis of tuberculosis.
- BICH491 Hnr-research Instructor
- BICH491 Research Instructor
- BICH654 Structural Biochem Instructor
- BICH655 Crystallography Methods Instructor
- BICH677 Chem Gene & Drug Discvry Instructor
- BICH681 Seminar Instructor
- BICH685 Directed Studies Instructor
- BICH685 Directed Studies: In-ab Instructor
- BICH691 Research Instructor
- BIOT684 Directed Pro Internship: In-ab Instructor
- BIOT684 Directed Prof Internshp: In-ab Instructor
- BIOT684 Directed Prof Intrn: In-ab Instructor
- BIOT685 Directed Studies Instructor
- CHEM491 Research Instructor
- CHEM691 Research Instructor
- GENE491 Hnr-research Instructor
- GENE491 Research Instructor
- GENE691 Research Instructor
- GENE691 Research: In-ab Instructor
- MSCI691 Research Credit: Medical Sci Instructor
- Harshbarger, Wayne (2015-05). X-Ray Crystal Structure of Human 20s Proteasome in Complex with Carfilzomib. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Jung, Hunmin (2014-12). Development of Potent and Selective Inhibitors of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis, Plasmodium Falciparum and Staphylococcus Aureus Dihydrofolate Reductase. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Joseph, Sonia (2014-08). The Biochemical Investigation and Isolation of Small Molecule Inhibitors for Two Essential Proteins of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv: IspD and Wag31. (Master's Thesis)
- Lalgondar, Mallikarjun (2014-05). Structural Studies and Evaluation of Inhibitors of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv Shikimate Dehydrogenase (MtSDH). (Master's Thesis)