My lab uses X-ray crystallography to better understand the relationship between proteins and ligands. Tiny differences in the structure of a molecule can radically change the interaction between a protein and ligand and we are only begining to understand how many factors play a role in this interaction. By manipulating the individual components of a compound it is possible to create a chemical that binds to the protein better than the natural substrate, and prevent the natural reaction from occurring. This is the basis for rational drug design. Our efforts have lead us to collaborations with other labs and scientists in many disciplines as our approach to directed compound design has applications not only in basic research but also in pesticide development, health research and clinical research.
- Balendiran, G. K., Molina, J. A., Xu, Y. M., Torres-Martinez, J., Stevens, R., Focia, P. J., ... Craig, S. P. (1999). Ternary complex structure of human HGPRTase, PRPP, Mg2+, and the inhibitor HPP reveals the involvement of the flexible loop in substrate binding (vol 8, pg 1023, 1999). Protein Sci. 8(12), 2815-2815.
- O'Hagan, R., Schreiber-Agus, N., Engelman, J. A., Schwab, R., Alland, L., Thompson, C., ... DePinho, R. A. (1999). Identification of differentially regulated gene targets in the Myc and Mad family proteins. NATURE GENETICS. 23(Suppl 3), 66-66.
- Kurokawa, H., Dewan, J. C., Mikami, B., Sacchettini, J. C., & Hirose, M. (1999). Crystal Structure of Hen Apo-ovotransferrin BOTH LOBES ADOPT AN OPEN CONFORMATION UPON LOSS OF IRON. JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY. 274(40), 28445-28452.
- Rozwarski, D. A., Vilchèze, C., Sugantino, M., Bittman, R., & Sacchettini, J. C. (1999). Crystal Structure of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis Enoyl-ACP Reductase, InhA, in Complex with NAD+ and a C16 Fatty Acyl Substrate. JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY. 274(22), 15582-15589.
- Balendiran, G. K., Molina, J. A., Xu, Y., Torres‐Martinez, J., Stevens, R., Focia, P. J., ... Craig, S. P. (1999). Ternary complex structure of human hgprtase, prpp, mg2+, and the inhibitor HPP reveals the involvement of the flexible loop in substrate binding. Protein Sci. 8(5), 1023-1031.
- Musa, T. L., Ioerger, T. R., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2009). THE TUBERCULOSIS STRUCTURAL GENOMICS CONSORTIUM: A STRUCTURAL GENOMICS APPROACH TO DRUG DISCOVERY. Advances in protein chemistry and structural biology. STRUCTURAL GENOMICS, PART C. (pp. 41-76).
- Lücke, C., Fushman, D., Ludwig, C., Hamilton, J. A., Sacchettini, J. C., & Rüterjans, H. (1999). A comparative study of the backbone dynamics of two closely related lipid binding proteins: Bovine heart fatty acid binding protein and porcine ileal lipid binding protein. Lipid Binding Proteins within Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. (pp. 109-121). Springer Us.
- Scapin, G., Young, A., Kromminga, A., Veerkamp, J. H., Gordon, J. I., & Sacchettini, J. C. (1993). High resolution X-ray studies of mammalian intestinal and muscle fatty acid-binding proteins provide an opportunity for defining the chemical nature of fatty acid: protein interactions. Cellular Fatty Acid-Binding Proteins II. (pp. 3-13). Springer Us.
- Cistola, D. P., Sacchettini, J. C., & Gordon, J. I. (1990). 13C NMR studies of fatty acid-protein interactions: comparison of homologous fatty acid-binding proteins produced in the intestinal epithelium. Cellular Fatty Acid-binding Proteins. (pp. 101-110). Springer Us.
- Sacchettini, J. C., Banaszak, L. J., & Gordon, J. I. (1990). Expression of rat intestinal fatty acid binding protein in E. coli and its subsequent structural analysis: a model system for studying the molecular details of fatty acid-protein interaction. Cellular Fatty Acid-binding Proteins. (pp. 81-93). Springer Us.
- Kieser, K. J., Baranowski, C., Chao, M. C., Long, J. E., Sassetti, C. M., Waldor, M. K., ... Rubin, E. J. (2015). Peptidoglycan synthesis in Mycobacterium tuberculosis is organized into networks with varying drug susceptibility. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES. 112(42), 13087-13092.
- Xie, H., Rao, J., Mire, J., Sacchettini, J. C., Kong, Y., & Cirillo, J. D. (2010). Mtb Bla-specific fluorescent probes for tuberculosis detection and imaging. ACS Photonics. 240,
- Mosser, R., Reddy, M., Bruning, J., Sacchettini, J. C., & Reinhart, G. D. (2010). Redefining the Role of the Quaternary Shift in the Allosteric Inhibition of Bacillus Stearothermophilus Phosphofructokinase. Biophys J. 98(3), 39a-39A.
- Mosser, R., Reddy, M., Sacchettini, J. C., Igumenova, T., & Reinhart, G. D. (2009). A Solution NMR and Crystallographic Study of the Role of the Quaternary Shift in the Allosteric Regulation of Phosphofructokinase from B. stearothermophilus. Biophys J. 96(3), 5a-5A.
- Pai, R., Sacchettini, J. C., & Ioerger, T. R. (2008). Analysis of protein-ligand interactions using localized stereochemical features. 666-673.
- Harshbarger, Wayne (2015-05). X-Ray Crystal Structure of Human 20s Proteasome in Complex with Carfilzomib. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Jung, Hunmin (2014-12). Development of Potent and Selective Inhibitors of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis, Plasmodium Falciparum and Staphylococcus Aureus Dihydrofolate Reductase. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Joseph, Sonia (2014-08). The Biochemical Investigation and Isolation of Small Molecule Inhibitors for Two Essential Proteins of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv: IspD and Wag31. (Master's Thesis)
- Lalgondar, Mallikarjun (2014-05). Structural Studies and Evaluation of Inhibitors of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv Shikimate Dehydrogenase (MtSDH). (Master's Thesis)