My lab uses X-ray crystallography to better understand the relationship between proteins and ligands. Tiny differences in the structure of a molecule can radically change the interaction between a protein and ligand and we are only begining to understand how many factors play a role in this interaction. By manipulating the individual components of a compound it is possible to create a chemical that binds to the protein better than the natural substrate, and prevent the natural reaction from occurring. This is the basis for rational drug design. Our efforts have lead us to collaborations with other labs and scientists in many disciplines as our approach to directed compound design has applications not only in basic research but also in pesticide development, health research and clinical research.
- Chen, Q., Shah, K. N., Zhang, F., Salazar, A. J., Shah, P. N., Li, R., ... Cannon, C. L. (2019). Minocycline and Silver Dual-Loaded Polyphosphoester-Based Nanoparticles for Treatment of Resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Molecular Pharmaceutics. 16(4), 1606-1619.
- Miller, B. K., Hughes, R., Ligon, L. S., Rigel, N. W., Malik, S., Anjuwon-Foster, B. R., Sacchettini, J. C., & Braunstein, M. (2019). Mycobacterium tuberculosis SatS is a chaperone for the SecA2 protein export pathway.. Elife. 8,
- Ballinger, E., Mosior, J., Hartman, T., Burns-Huang, K., Gold, B., Morris, R., ... Nathan, C. (2019). Opposing reactions in coenzyme A metabolism sensitize Mycobacterium tuberculosis to enzyme inhibition.. Science (New York, N.Y.). 363(6426), eaau8959-eaau8959.
- Salazar, A. J., Sherekar, M., Tsai, J., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2019). R pyocin tail fiber structure reveals a receptor-binding domain with a lectin fold.. PLoS ONE. 14(2), e0211432-e0211432.
- Tang, S. u., Hicks, N. D., Cheng, Y., Silva, A., Fortune, S. M., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2019). Structural and functional insight into the Mycobacterium tuberculosis protein PrpR reveals a novel type of transcription factor. Nucleic acids research. 47(18), 9934-9949.
- Musa, T. L., Ioerger, T. R., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2009). THE TUBERCULOSIS STRUCTURAL GENOMICS CONSORTIUM: A STRUCTURAL GENOMICS APPROACH TO DRUG DISCOVERY. Advances in protein chemistry and structural biology. STRUCTURAL GENOMICS, PART C. (pp. 41-76).
- Gopal, K., Romo, T. D., Sacchettini, J. C., Ioerger, T. R., & Soc, I. (2004). Weighting features to recognize 3D patterns of electron density in X-ray protein crystallography. 2004 IEEE COMPUTATIONAL SYSTEMS BIOINFORMATICS CONFERENCE, PROCEEDINGS. 255-265.
- Savva, C. G., Arulandu, A., Sacchettini, J., & Holzenburg, A. (2003). Electron microscopy and single particle analysis of a mycobacterial preprotein translocation, ATPase. MICROSCOPY AND MICROANALYSIS. 9(SUPPL. 2), 1364-1365.
- Sun, J., Sridharan, S., Sacchettini, J., Savva, C., & Holzenburg, A. (2003). TEM studies of IniA from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. MICROSCOPY AND MICROANALYSIS. 9(SUPPL. 2), 1418-1419.
- Gopal, K., Pai, R., Ioerger, T. R., Romo, T. D., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2003). TEXTALTM: Artificial Intelligence Techniques for Automated Protein Structure Determination.. 93-100.
- Tao, Y., Ioerger, T. R., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2002). Extracting fractal features for analyzing protein structure. Proceedings - International Conference on Pattern Recognition. 16(2), 482-485.
- Sacchettini, J. C., Miller, M. W., Wallis, D., Zhou, N. E., & Fossum, T. W. (2019). Compositions and methods for drug sensitization of parasites.
- Reddy, M., Sacchettini, J. C., Zhou, N. E., & Mccutchen, B. F. (2019). Compositions and methods for inhibition of mycobacteria.
- Rao, J., Cirillo, J. D., Xie, H., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2017). β-lactamase substrates and methods of their use for the diagnosis of tuberculosis.
- Harshbarger, Wayne (2015-05). X-Ray Crystal Structure of Human 20s Proteasome in Complex with Carfilzomib. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Jung, Hunmin (2014-12). Development of Potent and Selective Inhibitors of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis, Plasmodium Falciparum and Staphylococcus Aureus Dihydrofolate Reductase. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Joseph, Sonia (2014-08). The Biochemical Investigation and Isolation of Small Molecule Inhibitors for Two Essential Proteins of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv: IspD and Wag31. (Master's Thesis)
- Lalgondar, Mallikarjun (2014-05). Structural Studies and Evaluation of Inhibitors of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv Shikimate Dehydrogenase (MtSDH). (Master's Thesis)