My lab uses X-ray crystallography to better understand the relationship between proteins and ligands. Tiny differences in the structure of a molecule can radically change the interaction between a protein and ligand and we are only begining to understand how many factors play a role in this interaction. By manipulating the individual components of a compound it is possible to create a chemical that binds to the protein better than the natural substrate, and prevent the natural reaction from occurring. This is the basis for rational drug design. Our efforts have lead us to collaborations with other labs and scientists in many disciplines as our approach to directed compound design has applications not only in basic research but also in pesticide development, health research and clinical research.
- Musa, T. L., Ioerger, T. R., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2009). THE TUBERCULOSIS STRUCTURAL GENOMICS CONSORTIUM: A STRUCTURAL GENOMICS APPROACH TO DRUG DISCOVERY. Advances in protein chemistry and structural biology. STRUCTURAL GENOMICS, PART C. (pp. 41-76).
- Gopal, K., Romo, T. D., Sacchettini, J. C., & Ioerger, T. R. (2004). Weighting features to recognize 3D patterns of electron density in X-ray protein crystallography. 255-265.
- Savva, C. G., Arulandu, A., Sacchettini, J., & Holzenburg, A. (2003). Electron microscopy and single particle analysis of a mycobacterial preprotein translocation, ATPase. MICROSCOPY AND MICROANALYSIS. 9(SUPPL. 2), 1364-1365.
- Sun, J., Sridharan, S., Sacchettini, J., Savva, C., & Holzenburg, A. (2003). TEM studies of IniA from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. MICROSCOPY AND MICROANALYSIS. 9(SUPPL. 2), 1418-1419.
- Gopal, K., Pai, R., Ioerger, T. R., Romo, T. D., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2003). TEXTALTM: Artificial Intelligence Techniques for Automated Protein Structure Determination.. 93-100.
- Tao, Y., Ioerger, T. R., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2002). Extracting fractal features for analyzing protein structure. Proceedings - International Conference on Pattern Recognition. 16(2), 482-485.
- Rao, J., Cirillo, J., Xie, H., & Sacchettini, J. (2017). ?-lactamase substrates and methods of their use for the diagnosis of tuberculosis.
- Sacchettini, J. C., Miller, M. W., Wallis, D., Zhou, N. E., & Fossum, T. W. (2019). Compositions and methods for drug sensitization of parasites.
- Sacchettini, J., Zhou, N., Baker, D., Maxwell, S., & Wallis, D. (2018). Compositions and methods for drug-sensitization or inhibition of a cancer cell.
- Sacchettini, J., Zhou, N., Baker, D., Maxwell, S., & Wallis, D. (2017). Compositions and methods for drug-sensitization or inhibition of a cancer cell.
- Sacchettini, J., Zhou, N., Baker, D., Maxwell, S., & Wallis, D. (2015). Compositions and methods for drug-sensitization or inhibition of a cancer cell.
- Harshbarger, Wayne (2015-05). X-Ray Crystal Structure of Human 20s Proteasome in Complex with Carfilzomib. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Jung, Hunmin (2014-12). Development of Potent and Selective Inhibitors of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis, Plasmodium Falciparum and Staphylococcus Aureus Dihydrofolate Reductase. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Joseph, Sonia (2014-08). The Biochemical Investigation and Isolation of Small Molecule Inhibitors for Two Essential Proteins of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv: IspD and Wag31. (Master's Thesis)
- Lalgondar, Mallikarjun (2014-05). Structural Studies and Evaluation of Inhibitors of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv Shikimate Dehydrogenase (MtSDH). (Master's Thesis)