My lab uses X-ray crystallography to better understand the relationship between proteins and ligands. Tiny differences in the structure of a molecule can radically change the interaction between a protein and ligand and we are only begining to understand how many factors play a role in this interaction. By manipulating the individual components of a compound it is possible to create a chemical that binds to the protein better than the natural substrate, and prevent the natural reaction from occurring. This is the basis for rational drug design. Our efforts have lead us to collaborations with other labs and scientists in many disciplines as our approach to directed compound design has applications not only in basic research but also in pesticide development, health research and clinical research.
- Li, E., Quian, S. J., Nader, L., Yang, N. C., d'Avignon, A., Sacchettini, J. C., & Gordon, J. I. (1989). Nuclear magnetic resonance studies of 6-fluorotryptophan-substituted rat cellular retinol-binding protein II produced in Escherichia coli. Analysis of the apoprotein and the holoprotein containing bound all-trans-retinol and all-trans-retinal.. JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY. 264(29), 17041-17048.
- Sacchettini, J. C., Gordon, J. I., & Banaszak, L. J. (1989). Refined apoprotein structure of rat intestinal fatty acid binding protein produced in Escherichia coli. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES. 86(20), 7736-7740.
- Sacchettini, J. C., Gordon, J. I., & Banaszak, L. J. (1989). Crystal structure of rat intestinal fatty-acid-binding protein Refinement and analysis of the Escherichia coli-derived protein with bound palmitate. JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR BIOLOGY. 208(2), 327-339.
- Cistola, D. P., Sacchettini, J. C., Banaszak, L. J., Walsh, M. T., & Gordon, J. I. (1989). Fatty acid interactions with rat intestinal and liver fatty acid-binding proteins expressed in Escherichia coli. A comparative 13C NMR study.. JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY. 264(5), 2700-2710.
- Sacchettini, J. C., Frazier, M. W., Chiara, D. C., Banaszak, L. J., & Grant, G. A. (1988). Amino acid sequence of porcine heart fumarase. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 153(1), 435-440.
- Musa, T. L., Ioerger, T. R., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2009). THE TUBERCULOSIS STRUCTURAL GENOMICS CONSORTIUM: A STRUCTURAL GENOMICS APPROACH TO DRUG DISCOVERY. Advances in protein chemistry and structural biology. STRUCTURAL GENOMICS, PART C. (pp. 41-76).
- Lücke, C., Fushman, D., Ludwig, C., Hamilton, J. A., Sacchettini, J. C., & Rüterjans, H. (1999). A comparative study of the backbone dynamics of two closely related lipid binding proteins: Bovine heart fatty acid binding protein and porcine ileal lipid binding protein. Lipid Binding Proteins within Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. (pp. 109-121). Springer Us.
- Scapin, G., Young, A., Kromminga, A., Veerkamp, J. H., Gordon, J. I., & Sacchettini, J. C. (1993). High resolution X-ray studies of mammalian intestinal and muscle fatty acid-binding proteins provide an opportunity for defining the chemical nature of fatty acid: protein interactions. Cellular Fatty Acid-Binding Proteins II. (pp. 3-13). Springer Us.
- Cistola, D. P., Sacchettini, J. C., & Gordon, J. I. (1990). 13C NMR studies of fatty acid-protein interactions: comparison of homologous fatty acid-binding proteins produced in the intestinal epithelium. Cellular Fatty Acid-binding Proteins. (pp. 101-110). Springer Us.
- Sacchettini, J. C., Banaszak, L. J., & Gordon, J. I. (1990). Expression of rat intestinal fatty acid binding protein in E. coli and its subsequent structural analysis: a model system for studying the molecular details of fatty acid-protein interaction. Cellular Fatty Acid-binding Proteins. (pp. 81-93). Springer Us.
- Freundlich, J. S., Anderson, J. W., Sarantakis, D., Shieh, H. M., Lucumi, E., Kuo, M., ... Sacchettini, J. C. (2005). Synthesis, biological activity, and X-ray crystal structural analysis of diaryl ether inhibitors of malarial enoyl acyl carrier protein reductase: 2 '- and 4 '-substituted triclosan derivatives. ACS Photonics. 230, U2624-U2625.
- Gopal, K., Romo, T. D., Sacchettini, J. C., & Ioerger, T. R. (2004). Efficient Retrieval of Electron Density Patterns for Modeling Proteins by X-ray Crystallography. 380-387.
- Gopal, K., Romo, T. D., Sacchettini, J. C., & Ioerger, T. R. (2004). Evaluation of geometric & probabilistic distance measures to retrieve electron density patterns for protein structure determination. 1, 427-432.
- Gopal, K., Romo, T. D., Sacchettini, J. C., & Ioerger, T. R. (2004). Weighting Features to Recognize 3D Patterns of Electron Density in X-Ray Protein Crystallography. Computational Systems Bioinformatics. 255-265.
- Pennella, M., Eicken, C., Koshlap, K., Sacchettini, J. C., & Giedroc, D. P. (2004). Probing the pathway of allosteric regulation of DNA binding in zinc sensor proteins from the SmtB/ArsR family. Protein Sci. 13, 83-83.
- Sacchettini, J. C., Miller, M. W., Wallis, D., Zhou, N. E., & Fossum, T. W. (2019). Compositions and methods for drug sensitization of parasites.
- Reddy, M., Sacchettini, J. C., Zhou, N. E., & Mccutchen, B. F. (2019). Compositions and methods for inhibition of mycobacteria.
- Sacchettini, J., Zhou, N., Baker, D., Maxwell, S., & Wallis, D. (2018). Compositions and methods for drug-sensitization or inhibition of a cancer cell.
- Rao, J., Cirillo, J., Xie, H., & Sacchettini, J. (2017). ?-lactamase substrates and methods of their use for the diagnosis of tuberculosis.
- Sacchettini, J., Zhou, N., Baker, D., Maxwell, S., & Wallis, D. (2017). Compositions and methods for drug-sensitization or inhibition of a cancer cell.
- Wang, Feng (2007-08). Structure-based drug mechanism study and inhibitor design targeting tuberculosis. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Ramesh, Arati (2007-08). Structural studies of the Ro ribonucleoprotein and the metalloregulator CsoR. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Yu, Hong (2007-05). Structural studies of Mycobacterium tuberculosis KatG, an INH drug activator, and Brucella abortus VirB11, an ATPase of type IV translocation system. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Kuo, Mack Ryan (2006-12). Structure, function, and inhibition of enoyl reductases. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Yang, Dong (2006-08). Structural studies of terpenoid biosynthesis and bacterial cell division. (Doctoral Dissertation)