My lab uses X-ray crystallography to better understand the relationship between proteins and ligands. Tiny differences in the structure of a molecule can radically change the interaction between a protein and ligand and we are only begining to understand how many factors play a role in this interaction. By manipulating the individual components of a compound it is possible to create a chemical that binds to the protein better than the natural substrate, and prevent the natural reaction from occurring. This is the basis for rational drug design. Our efforts have lead us to collaborations with other labs and scientists in many disciplines as our approach to directed compound design has applications not only in basic research but also in pesticide development, health research and clinical research.
- Miller, B. K., Hughes, R., Ligon, L. S., Rigel, N. W., Malik, S., Anjuwon-Foster, B. R., Sacchettini, J. C., & Braunstein, M. (2019). Mycobacterium tuberculosis SatS is a chaperone for the SecA2 protein export pathway. Elife. 8,
- Rittershaus, E., Baek, S., Krieger, I. V., Nelson, S. J., Cheng, Y., Nambi, S., ... Sassetti, C. M. (2018). A Lysine Acetyltransferase Contributes to the Metabolic Adaptation to Hypoxia in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. CELL CHEMICAL BIOLOGY. 25(12), 1495-+.
- Ellenbarger, J. F., Krieger, I. V., Huang, H., Gomez-Coca, S., Ioerger, T. R., Sacchettini, J. C., Wheeler, S. E., & Dunbar, K. R. (2018). Anion-pi Interactions in Computer-Aided Drug Design: Modeling the Inhibition of Malate Synthase by Phenyl-Diketo Acids. J Chem Inf Model. 58(10), 2085-2091.
- Ganley, J. G., Carr, G., Ioerger, T. R., Sacchettini, J. C., Clardy, J., & Derbyshire, E. R. (2018). Discovery of Antimicrobial Lipodepsipeptides Produced by a Serratia sp within Mosquito Microbiomes. Chembiochem : a European journal of chemical biology. 19(15), 1590-1594.
- Blanc, L., Sarathy, J. P., Alvarez Cabrera, N., O'Brien, P., Dias-Freedman, I., Mina, M., ... Dartois, V. (2018). Impact of immunopathology on the antituberculous activity of pyrazinamide.. The Journal of Experimental Medicine. 215(8), 1975-1986.
- Musa, T. L., Ioerger, T. R., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2009). THE TUBERCULOSIS STRUCTURAL GENOMICS CONSORTIUM: A STRUCTURAL GENOMICS APPROACH TO DRUG DISCOVERY. Advances in protein chemistry and structural biology. STRUCTURAL GENOMICS, PART C. (pp. 41-76).
- SACCHETTINI, J. C., GORDON, J. I., VANCAMP, S. L., & SCAPIN, G. (1991). THE TERTIARY STRUCTURES OF FATTY-ACID BINDING-PROTEINS. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 202, 15-BIOL.
- SACCHETTINI, J. C., GORDON, J. I., & BANASZAK, L. J. (1988). PROTEIN LONG CHAIN FATTY-ACID INTERACTIONS - A X-RAY CRYSTALLOGRAPHIC STUDY USING E-COLI-DERIVED RAT INTESTINAL FATTY-ACID BINDING-PROTEIN. The FASEB Journal. 2(5), A1044-A1044.
- SACCHETTINI, J. C., SAID, B., SCHULZ, H., HEUCKEROTH, R. O., & GORDON, J. I. (1986). THE AMINO-ACID-SEQUENCE OF RAT-HEART FATTY-ACID BINDING-PROTEIN. Fed Proc. 45(6), 1635-1635.
- Harshbarger, Wayne (2015-05). X-Ray Crystal Structure of Human 20s Proteasome in Complex with Carfilzomib. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Jung, Hunmin (2014-12). Development of Potent and Selective Inhibitors of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis, Plasmodium Falciparum and Staphylococcus Aureus Dihydrofolate Reductase. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Joseph, Sonia (2014-08). The Biochemical Investigation and Isolation of Small Molecule Inhibitors for Two Essential Proteins of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv: IspD and Wag31. (Master's Thesis)
- Lalgondar, Mallikarjun (2014-05). Structural Studies and Evaluation of Inhibitors of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv Shikimate Dehydrogenase (MtSDH). (Master's Thesis)