I am a professor in science education at Texas A&M University and the former president of the Association for Science Teacher Education. My research efforts focus on: 1) science teacher preparation; 2) the inclusion of engineering in elementary science standards and how "STEM" is addressed by teachers and teacher education programs; 3) the nature of science and nature of engineering and their role in improving STEM education; 4) philosophical underpinnings of teacher education and their role in curriculum design and pedagogical practices.
- Pleasants, J., Tank, K. M., & Olson, J. K. (2021). Conceptual connections between science and engineering in elementary teachers’ unit plans. International Journal of STEM Education. 8(1), 16.
- Herman, B. C., Olson, J. K., & Clough, M. P. (2019). The Role of Informal Support Networks in Teaching the Nature of Science. Research in Science Education. 49(1), 191-218.
- Pleasants, J., Clough, M. P., Olson, J. K., & Miller, G. (2019). Fundamental Issues Regarding the Nature of Technology. Science & Education. 28(3-5), 561-597.
- Pleasants, J., & Olson, J. K. (2019). Refining an Instrument and Studying Elementary Teachers Understanding of the Scope of Engineering. Journal of Pre-College Engineering Education Research (J-PEER). (2),
- Pleasants, J., & Olson, J. K. (2019). What is engineering? Elaborating the nature of engineering for K12 education. Science Education. (1),
- Olson, J. K., & Clough, M. P. (2013). A Cautionary Note. The Nature of Technology. 189-200. SensePublishers.
- Olson, J. K., Clough, M. P., & Penning, K. A. (2013). Social Networking Technology and Societal Expectations for Teachers as Role Models. The Nature of Technology. 129-162. SensePublishers.
- Olson, J. K. (2013). The Purposes of Schooling and the Nature of Technology. The Nature of Technology. 217-248. SensePublishers.
- Clough, M. P., & Olson, J. K. (2012). Impact of a Nature of Science and Science Education Course on Teachers Nature of Science Classroom Practices. Advances in Nature of Science Research. 247-266. Springer Netherlands.