I am a professor in science education at Texas A&M University and the former president of the Association for Science Teacher Education. My research efforts focus on: 1) science teacher preparation; 2) the inclusion of engineering in elementary science standards and how \"STEM\" is addressed by teachers and teacher education programs; 3) the nature of science and nature of engineering and their role in improving STEM education; 4) philosophical underpinnings of teacher education and their role in curriculum design and pedagogical practices.
- Pleasants, J., Clough, M. P., Olson, J. K., & Miller, G. (2019). Fundamental Issues Regarding the Nature of Technology. Science & Education. 28(3-5), 561-597.
- Pleasants, J., & Olson, J. K. (2019). Refining an instrument and studying elementary teachers’ understanding of the scope of engineering. Journal of Pre-College Engineering Education Research. 9(2),
- Herman, B. C., Olson, J. K., & Clough, M. P. (2019). The Role of Informal Support Networks in Teaching the Nature of Science. RESEARCH IN SCIENCE EDUCATION. 49(1), 191-218.
- Pleasants, J., Olson, J. K., & Tank, K. M. (2019). What Students Learn from Engineering Instruction: Perspectives from Elementary Teachers. Journal of Science Teacher Education. 30(7), 691-715.
- Pleasants, J., & Olson, J. K. (2019). What is engineering? Elaborating the nature of engineering for K-12 education. SCIENCE EDUCATION. 103(1), 145-166.
- Clough, M. P., Olson, J. K., & Niederhauser, D. S. (2013). Introduction. SensePublishers.
- Clough, M. P., Olson, J. K., & Niederhauser, D. S. (2013). The nature of technology: Implications for learning and teaching. SensePublishers.
- Olson, J. K., & Clough, M. P. (2013). A Cautionary Note. The Nature of Technology. (pp. 189-200). SensePublishers.
- Olson, J. K., & Appleton, K. (2013). Considering curriculum for elementary science methods courses. Elementary Science Teacher Education: International Perspectives on Contemporary Issues and Practice. (pp. 127-151). Routledge.
- Olson, J. K., Clough, M. P., & Penning, K. A. (2013). Social Networking Technology and Societal Expectations for Teachers as Role Models. The Nature of Technology. (pp. 129-162). SensePublishers.
- Olson, J. K. (2013). The purposes of schooling and the nature of technology the end of education?. The Nature of Technology: Implications for Learning and Teaching. (pp. 217-248). SensePublishers.
- Clough, M. P., & Olson, J. K. (2012). Impact of a Nature of Science and Science Education Course on Teachers’ Nature of Science Classroom Practices. Advances in Nature of Science Research. (pp. 247-266). Springer Netherlands.