Dr. Brannstrom's research focuses on social and political aspects of renewable energy and unconventional fossil fuels in Texas. He also studies geographical dimensions of wind-power expansion in Brazil, where he has partnered with geographers at the Universidade Federal do Cear?. He regularly hosts visiting scholars interested in theoretical and empirical dimensions of environmental governance. His work has been supported by the National Science Foundation, the National Geographic Society, Texas Sea Grant, the TAMU Glasscock Center for Humanities Research, and Brazilian funding agencies.
- Ph.D. in Geography, University of Wisconsin - Madison - (Madison, Wisconsin, United States) 1998
- M.S. in Geography, University of Wisconsin - Madison - (Madison, Wisconsin, United States) 1992
- A.B. in International Relations, University of California, Davis - (Davis, California, United States) 1990
- Brannstrom, C., Gorayeb, A., Mendes, J., Loureiro, C., de Andrade Meireles, A. J., da Silva, E. V., Ribeiro de Freitas, A. L., & de Oliveira, R. F. (2017). Is Brazilian wind power development sustainable? Insights from a review of conflicts in Ceara state. RENEWABLE & SUSTAINABLE ENERGY REVIEWS. 67(C), 62-71.
- Murphy, T., Brannstrom, C., & Fry, M. (2017). Ownership and Spatial Distribution of Eagle Ford Mineral Wealth in Live Oak County, Texas. Professional Geographer. 69(4), 616-628.
- Frate, C. A., & Brannstrom, C. (2017). Stakeholder subjectivities regarding barriers and drivers to the introduction of utility-scale solar photovoltaic power in Brazil. ENERGY POLICY. 111, 346-352.
- Fry, M., Brannstrom, C., & Sakinejad, M. (2017). Suburbanization and shale gas wells: Patterns, planning perspectives, and reverse setback policies. LANDSCAPE AND URBAN PLANNING. 168, 9-21.
- Brannstrom, C. (2016). The Discovery of Hispanic Child Labor in Agriculture in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, Texas: A Life Geography Approach. Annals of the American Association of Geographers. 106(3), 705-721.
- Brannstrom, C., & Fry, M. (2017). New geographies of the Texas energy revolution. The Routledge Research Companion to Energy Geographies. (pp. 17-31). Routledge.
- Jepson, W. E., & Brannstrom, C. (2016). Techno-nature and Scaling Water Governance in South Texas. Norman, E. S., Cook, C., & Cohen, A. (Eds.), Negotiating Water Governance Why the Politics of Scale Matter. (pp. 155-172). Ashgate Publishing.
- Brannstrom, C., & Vadjunec, J. M. (2014). Notes for avoiding a missed opportunity in sustainability science: Integrating land change science and political ecology. Brannstrom, C., & Vadjunec, J. (Eds.), Land Change Science, Political Ecology, and Sustainability Synergies and Divergences. (pp. 1-23). Routledge.
- Brannstrom, C. (2012). Agriculture. Crocitti, J. J., & Vallance, M. M. (Eds.), Brazil Today An Encyclopedia of Life in the Republic. (pp. 20-24). ABC-CLIO.
- Brannstrom, C. (2012). Cerrado. Crocitti, J. J., & Vallance, M. M. (Eds.), Brazil Today An Encyclopedia of Life in the Republic. (pp. 142-145). ABC-CLIO.
- Gorayeb, A., Mendes, J., de Andrade Meireles, A. J., Brannstrom, C., da Silva, E. V., & Ribeiro de Freitas, A. L. (2016). Wind-energy Development Causes Social Impacts in Coastal Ceara state, Brazil: The Case of the Xavier Community. Journal of Coastal Research. 1(75), 383-387.
- Filippi, A. M., Brannstrom, C., Cairns, D. M., & Kim, D. (2007). Hyperion and CBERS satellite image classification intercomparison for Cerrado and agricultural mapping - art. no. 674913. MATHEMATICAL MODELING AND ESTIMATION TECHNIQUES IN COMPUTER VISION. 6749, 74913-74913.
- (2014). Land change science, political ecology, and sustainability: Synergies and divergences. Routledge. 1-265.
- (2004). Territories, Commodities and Knowledges Latin American Environmental History in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries. Inst of Latin American Studies.
- Murphy, Trey Daniel-Aaron (2016-05). \"It All Depends on the Price of Oil!\": Eagle Ford Shale Economic Development Outcomes in a Boom-Bust Milieu. (Master's Thesis)
- Tilton, Mary (2015-12). Using GIS to Estimate the Spatial Distribution of Wind-Power Royalties in West Texas. (Master's Thesis)
- Santos, Anna Nunes (2015-05). Determinants of Livelihood Strategies in a Marine Extractive Reserve. (Doctoral Dissertation)