Dr. Lupton's research focuses on the effect of diet on colon physiology and colon cancer with a particular focus on dietary fiber and n-3 fatty acids.
education and training
- Lupton, J. R., Blumberg, J. B., L Abbe, M., LeDoux, M., Rice, H. B., von Schacky, C., Yaktine, A., & Griffiths, J. C. (2016). Nutrient reference value: non-communicable disease endpointsâ€”a conference report. Eur J Nutr. 55(S1), S1-S10.
- Hong, M. Y., Turner, N. D., Murphy, M. E., Carroll, R. J., Chapkin, R. S., & Lupton, J. R. (2015). In Vivo Regulation of Colonic Cell Proliferation, Differentiation, Apoptosis, and P27Kip1 by Dietary Fish Oil and Butyrate in Rats. CANCER PREVENTION RESEARCH. 8(11), 1076-1083.
- Schroeter, H., Keen, C. L., Sesso, H. D., Manson, J. E., & Lupton, J. R. (2015). Is this the end of (2)-epicatechin, or not? New study highlights the complex challenges associated with research into the cardiovascular health benefits of bioactive food constituents. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NUTRITION. 102(4), 975-976.
- Cho, Y., Turner, N. D., Davidson, L. A., Chapkin, R. S., Carroll, R. J., & Lupton, J. R. (2014). Colon cancer cell apoptosis is induced by combined exposure to the n-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid and butyrate through promoter methylation. EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE. 239(3), 302-310.
- Lupton, J. R. (2014). In this cohort, an apple a day could keep the doctor away. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NUTRITION. 100(6), 1409-1410.
- Van der Kamp, J. W., & Lupton, J. (2013). Definitions, regulations and health claims associated with dietary fibre and wholegrain foods. Fibre-Rich and Wholegrain Foods: Improving Quality. (pp. 3-24). Elsevier.
- Sanders, L. M., & Lupton, J. R. (2012). Carbohydrates. Present Knowledge in Nutrition: Tenth Edition. (pp. 83-96).
- Lupton, J. R. (2010). Codex definition of dietary fibre and issues requiring resolution. Dietary Fibre: New Frontiers for Food and Health. (pp. 15-24).
- Lupton, J. R., Atkinson, S. A., Chang, N., Fraga, C. G., Levy, J., Messina, M., ... Hathcock, J. (2014). Exploring the benefits and challenges of establishing a DRI-like process for bioactives. Eur J Nutr. 53(SUPPL. 1), 1-9.
- Lupton, J. R. (2012). From basic science to dietary guidance: Dietary fiber as an example. JOURNAL OF FOOD AND DRUG ANALYSIS. 20(SUPPL.1), 346-349.
- Suchy, F. J., Brannon, P. M., Carpenter, T. O., Fernandez, J. R., Gilsanz, V., Gould, J. B., ... Wolf, M. A. (2010). National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference: Lactose Intolerance and Health. ANNALS OF INTERNAL MEDICINE. 152(12), 792-796.
- Lupton, J. R. (2009). Scientific substantiation of claims in the USA: Focus on functional foods. Eur J Nutr. 48(SUPPL. 1), S27-S31.
- Lupton, J. R., Turner, N. D., Braby, L., Ford, J., Carroll, R. J., & Chapkin, R. S. (2006). A combination of omega-3 fatty acids and a butyrate-producing fiber mitigates colon cancer development. 1, 101-110.
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Cho, Young Mi (2012-08). Colon Cancer Chemoprotection through Epigenetic Effects of a Fish Oil/Pectin Diet. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Field, Lindsey 1982- (2011-05). Evidence-Based Reviews: History, Utility, and Application. (Master's Thesis)
- Baek, Kyunghwa (2007-12). Bone loss during energy restriction: mechanistic role of leptin. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- De La Torre Pineda, Monica (2007-05). Fortification of baked and fried tortilla chips with mechanically expelled soy flour. (Master's Thesis)
- Mann, John Clifford (2005-08). The effects of diet and ionizing radiation on azoxymethane induced colon carcinogenesis. (Master's Thesis)