My area of concentration is twentieth-century literature in English with a focus on gender theory, aesthetics, and ethical theory.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Comparative Literature, University of Pennsylvania - (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States) 1994
- M.A. in Comparative Literature, University of Pennsylvania - (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States) 1991
- A.B. in English & Psychology, Barnard College - (New York, New York, United States) 1987
- Eide, M (2016). Maeve’s Legacy: Constance Markievicz, Eva Gore-Booth, and the Easter Rising. Éire-Ireland. 51(3-4), 80-103.
- Eide, M (2014). Steve Biko & the Torture Aesthetic. Ufahamu: A Journal of African Studies. 38(1), 9-34.
- Eide, M (2013). Bad Timing and Ulysses's Failed Jokes. NOVEL A Forum on Fiction. 46(3), 424-437.
- Eide, M (2011). James Joyce's Magdalenes. College Literature. 38(4), 57-75.
- Eide, M (2019). Terrible Beauty The Violent Aesthetic and Twentieth-century Literature. University of Virginia Press.
- Eide, M., & Gibler, M (2018). After Combat True War Stories from Iraq and Afghanistan. U of Nebraska Press.
- Eide, M (2002). Ethical Joyce. Cambridge University Press.
- Eide, M (2013). Otherness and Singularity. A Handbook of Modernism Studies. 313-326. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Eide, M., & Mahaffey, V (2012). The small light in "A Little Cloud". Mahaffey, V. (Eds.), Collaborative Dubliners: Joyce in Dialogue. 164-187. Syracuse University Press.
- Eide, M (2009). Gender and sexuality. McCourt, J. (Eds.), James Joyce in Context. 76-87. Cambridge University Press.
- Eide, M (2004). Joyce, genre and authority of form. Rabate, J. M. (Eds.), Palgrave advances in James Joyce studies. 97-120. Palgrave.
- Eide, M (1998). Beyond "Syphilisation": Finnegans Wake, AIDS, and the Discourse of Contagion. Valente, J. (Eds.), Quare Joyce. 225-240. University of Michigan Press.
in the news
awards and honors
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Mox, Kyle E. (2015-12). Impossible Mourning: Melancholia and the Making of Modernism. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wheeler, Stephanie K. (2010-08). The Measure of Love Lost: Jeanette Winterson's "Written on the Body" and the Discourses of Love, Melancholy, and Disease. (Master's Thesis)
- Cockley, David (2009-05). The Media Spectacle of Terrorism and Response-Able Literature. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Tonner, Sarah Louise (2008-05). How has grief tourism re-defined the social and judicial progress of the Madres de Plaza de Mayo?. (Master's Thesis)
- Trayers, Shane Nicole (2006-12). National family allegory: Irish men and post-independence novels and film. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; English; 4227 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4227