Matthews, Sharon individual record
Clinical Associate Professor
- Clinical Associate Professor, Teaching, Learning and Culture, School of Education and Human Development
Dr. Sharon Matthews is a Clinical Associate Professor of Literacy in the Department of Teaching, Learning, and Culture. Dr. Matthews utilizes her public classroom teaching experiences supported by ongoing supervision and research to guide the preparation of knowledgeable, decisive, and agentive preservice teachers who integrate literacy across all contexts. Her research interests include writing development, disciplinary literacy, and the critical selection and integration of diverse children's literature.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction, New Mexico State University - (Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States) 2007
- M.Ed. in Administration, Curriculum and Supervision, University of Oklahoma - (Norman, Oklahoma, United States) 1999
- B.S. in Education (magna cum laude), Texas State University - (San Marcos, Texas, United States) 1988
- Moody, S. M., Matthews, S. D., & Eslami, Z. R. (2022). Translanguaging During Shared Read Alouds: A Case Study. LITERACY RESEARCH AND INSTRUCTION. 61(2), 113-136.
- Zimmer, W. K., & Matthews, S. D. (2022). A virtual coaching model of professional development to increase teachers' digital learning competencies. TEACHING AND TEACHER EDUCATION. 109, 103544-103544.
- Moody, S. M., & Matthews, S. D. (2022). Reading Without Words: Cultivating Bi/Multilingual Family Engagement. READING TEACHER. 76(2), 122-130.
- Kwok, M. N., Rios, A. R., Kwok, A., & Matthews, S. D. (2021). Teacher Candidates' Developing Beliefs About Diversity and Its Role in Effective Literacy Teaching. EDUCATION AND URBAN SOCIETY. 53(8), 886-908.
- Moody, S. M., & Matthews, S. D. (2020). Pathways to Becoming a Culturally Responsive Teacher: Narrative Inquiries into a Translanguaging Read Aloud. Journal ofCurriculum StudiesResearch. 2(2), 170-188.
- Moody, S. M., Matthews, S. D., & Eslami, Z. R. (2020). Bridging the Gap: The Use of Translanguaging in Shared Readings. Neokleous, G., Krulatz, A., & Farrelly, R. (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Cultivating Literacy in Diverse and Multilingual Classrooms. 555-576. IGI Global.
- Hodges, T. S., & Matthews, S. D. (2020). Digital Literacies and Text Structure Instruction: Benefits, New Language Demands, and Changes to Pedagogy. Sullivan, P. M., Lantz, J. L., & Sullivan, B. A. (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Integrating Digital Technology With Literacy Pedagogies. 52-71. IGI Global.
- Hodges, T. S., Scott, C. E., Washburn, E. K., Matthews, S. D., & Gould, C. (2019). Developing Pre-Service Teachers' Critical Thinking and Assessment Skills With Reflective Writing. Mariano, J. G., & Figliano, F. J. (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Critical Thinking Strategies in Pre-Service Learning Environments. 146-173. IGI Global.
- Matthews, S. D., & Hodges, T. S. (2018). Stranger than nonfiction_ Identifying and modeling text structures in fiction picturebooks. Araujo, J. J., Babino, A., Cossa, N., & Johnson, R. D. (Eds.), Engaging All Readers Through Explorations of Literacy, Language and Culture. 91-106. Association of Literacy Educators and Researchers.
in the news
awards and honors
- Transforming Lives Faculty Fellow conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - College of Education and Human Development 2017
recent teaching activities
- EDCI644 Curriculum Development Instructor
- EDCI680 Proseminar Instructor
- EDCI684 Prof Internship Instructor
- EDCI685 Directed Studies Instructor
- EDCI692 Professional Study Instructor
chaired theses and dissertations
- Stephens, Charity Caye (2018-12). The Effects of a Tiered Learning Matrix on Teachers' Perceptions, Pedagogy, and Sense of Efficacy. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Guo, Daibao (2018-08). The Impact of Visual Graphics on K-12 Students' Learning Across Disciplines. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Teaching, Learning And Culture (Tlac); 4232 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4232