My research focuses on carbon and nutrient dynamics in urban and rural soil, runoff and surface water. I am a PI on the Scotts Company/Texas A & M (24 plot) runoff research facility where I have examined runoff carbon and nutrient concentrations and exports from warm-season turfgrass under fertilization, wetting agent and deficit irrigation treatments. Other work has investigated extractable soil nutrients in Texas and Ghana under tillage and cropping treatments; and iron and zinc for sorghum in Mali. The investigation of carbon and nutrients released from decomposing mammals (mainly humans) with a view to estimating post-mortem interval is a relatively new field; decomposing mammals introduce another source of carbon and nutrients into the soil environment which is under researched. To expand soil science in forensics, soil has been used in training of human remains detection dogs in terms of odor and texture. An expansion of this forensic research is the development of use of UV-Vis-NIR spectroscopy with statistical models for trace soil evidence for a) determining percent similarity of soils and b) post-mortem interval prediction.
- Fontanier, C. H., Aitkenhead-Peterson, J. A., Wherley, B. G., White, R. H., Thomas, J. C., & Dwyer, P. (2017). Deficit Irrigation and Fertility Effects on NO3-N Exports from St. Augustinegrass. Journal of Environmental Quality. 46(4), 793-801.
- Nagaraju, A., Thejaswi, A., & Aitkenhead-Peterson, J. A. (2017). Fluoride and heavy metal accumulation by vegetation in the fluoride affected area of Talupula, Anantapur district, Andhra Pradesh. Journal of the Geological Society of India. 89(1), 27-32.
- Fontanier, C., Wherley, B., White, R., Aitkenhead-Peterson, J., & Chalmers, D. (2017). Historical ETo-based irrigation scheduling for St. Augustinegrass Lawns in the South-Central United States. Irrigation Science. 35(4), 347-356.
- Gregory, L. F., Karthikeyan, R., Aitkenhead-Peterson, J. A., Gentry, T. J., Wagner, K. L., & Harmel, R. D. (2017). Nutrient loading impacts on culturable E. coli and other heterotrophic bacteria fate in simulated stream mesocosms. Water Research. 126, 442-449.
- Aitkenhead-Peterson, J. A., & Steele, M. K. (2016). Dissolved organic carbon and dissolved organic nitrogen concentrations and exports upstream and downstream of the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolis, Texas, USA. MARINE AND FRESHWATER RESEARCH. 67(9), 1326-1337.
- Aitkenhead-Peterson, J. A., Alexander, J. E., AlbrechtovÃ¡, J., KrÃ¡m, P., Rock, B., CudlÃn, P., ... McDowell, W. H. (2006). Linking foliar chemistry to forest floor solid and solution phase organic C and N in Picea abies [L.] Karst stands in northern Bohemia. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 2017 EURO-ASIA CONFERENCE ON ENVIRONMENT AND CSR: TOURISM, SOCIETY AND EDUCATION SESSION, PT I. 283(1-2), 187-201.
- Young, Kirby Lynn (2018-05). Biogeochemistry of Urban, Suburban, and Rural Ponds and Lakes in South-Central Texas. (Master's Thesis)
- Beauchamp, Brianna Rochelle (2016-08). Water Extractable DOC, DON and Nutrients in Urban Soils: Effects of Sodium Source and Exposure Interval. (Master's Thesis)
- Lazar, Katelyn Renee (2016-08). Effect of Sodium Exposure on Dissolved Organic Carbon and its Biodegradability in Urban Soils. (Master's Thesis)
- Torres, Janet (2016-05). Integrated Water Management Practices in Mexico and Their Impact on Local Drinking Water Quality: Efficient Assessment Methods. (Master's Thesis)
- Ojeda, Nadezda (2016-05). Effects of Deficit Irrigation, Fertilization, and Wetting Agent on Runoff Nutrient Concentrations and Exports from St. Augustine Lawns. (Master's Thesis)