My research focuses on carbon and nutrient dynamics in urban and rural soil, runoff and surface water. I am a PI on the Scotts Company/Texas A & M (24 plot) runoff research facility where I have examined runoff carbon and nutrient concentrations and exports from warm-season turfgrass under fertilization, wetting agent and deficit irrigation treatments. Other work has investigated extractable soil nutrients in Texas and Ghana under tillage and cropping treatments; and iron and zinc for sorghum in Mali. The investigation of carbon and nutrients released from decomposing mammals (mainly humans) with a view to estimating post-mortem interval is a relatively new field; decomposing mammals introduce another source of carbon and nutrients into the soil environment which is under researched. To expand soil science in forensics, soil has been used in training of human remains detection dogs in terms of odor and texture. An expansion of this forensic research is the development of use of UV-Vis-NIR spectroscopy with statistical models for trace soil evidence for a) determining percent similarity of soils and b) post-mortem interval prediction.
- Basatnia, N., Hossein, S. A., Rodrigo-Comino, J., Khaledian, Y., Brevik, E. C., Aitkenhead-Peterson, J., & Natesan, U. (2018). Assessment of temporal and spatial water quality in international Gomishan Lagoon, Iran, using multivariate analysis. ENVIRONMENTAL MONITORING AND ASSESSMENT. 190(5),
- Aminiyan, M. M., Aitkenhead-Peterson, J., & Aminiyan, F. M. (2018). Evaluation of multiple water quality indices for drinking and irrigation purposes for the Karoon river, Iran. Environmental Geochemistry and Health. 1-22.
- Berube, M., Jewell, K., Myers, K. D., Knappett, P., Shuai, P., Hossain, A., ... Datta, S. (2018). The fate of arsenic in groundwater discharged to the Meghna River, Bangladesh. ENVIRONMENTAL CHEMISTRY. 15(1-2), 29-45.
- Fancher, J. P., Aitkenhead-Peterson, J. A., Farris, T., Mix, K., Schwab, A. P., Wescott, D. J., & Hamilton, M. D. (2017). An evaluation of soil chemistry in human cadaver decomposition islands: Potential for estimating postmortem interval (PMI). Forensic Science International. 279, 130-139.
- Khaledian, Y., Kiani, F., Ebrahimi, S., Brevik, E. C., & Aitkenhead-Peterson, J. (2017). Assessment and Monitoring of Soil Degradation during Land Use Change Using Multivariate Analysis. LAND DEGRADATION & DEVELOPMENT. 28(1), 128-141.
- Aitkenhead-Peterson, J. A., Alexander, J. E., AlbrechtovÃ¡, J., KrÃ¡m, P., Rock, B., CudlÃn, P., ... McDowell, W. H. (2006). Linking foliar chemistry to forest floor solid and solution phase organic C and N in Picea abies [L.] Karst stands in northern Bohemia. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 2017 EURO-ASIA CONFERENCE ON ENVIRONMENT AND CSR: TOURISM, SOCIETY AND EDUCATION SESSION, PT I. 283(1-2), 187-201.
- Young, Kirby Lynn (2018-05). Biogeochemistry of Urban, Suburban, and Rural Ponds and Lakes in South-Central Texas. (Master's Thesis)
- Beauchamp, Brianna Rochelle (2016-08). Water Extractable DOC, DON and Nutrients in Urban Soils: Effects of Sodium Source and Exposure Interval. (Master's Thesis)
- Lazar, Katelyn Renee (2016-08). Effect of Sodium Exposure on Dissolved Organic Carbon and its Biodegradability in Urban Soils. (Master's Thesis)
- Torres, Janet (2016-05). Integrated Water Management Practices in Mexico and Their Impact on Local Drinking Water Quality: Efficient Assessment Methods. (Master's Thesis)
- Ojeda, Nadezda (2016-05). Effects of Deficit Irrigation, Fertilization, and Wetting Agent on Runoff Nutrient Concentrations and Exports from St. Augustine Lawns. (Master's Thesis)