My research laboratory focuses on the development of new microscopy techniques and, more specifically, single molecule microscopy approaches. Our theoretical and experimental investigations of the classical resolution problem showed that there is no resolution limit in a microscope, but that distances well below those estimated by Rayleighs criterion can be resolved. Using microscopy and other techniques, my research group and collaborators investigate the dynamics and transport of new therapeutics and their interactions with their target proteins in a cellular context; for example, engineered antibodies that target tumor cells. The main areas of application are cancer biology and immunology, autoimmunity, etc. We also have studied the molecular basis for the transport of therapeutic agents to specific subcellular compartment and related questions in pharmacokinetics.
- University of Cambridge - (Cambridge, United Kingdom), Postdoctoral Training 1990
- Ph.D. in Engineering, University of Cambridge - (Cambridge, United Kingdom) 1987
- M.Phil. in Operations Research and Control Engineering, University of Cambridge - (Cambridge, United Kingdom) 1985
- Kang, J. C., Sun, W., Khare, P., Karimi, M., Wang, X., Shen, Y., Ober, R. J., & Ward, E. S. (2019). Engineering a HER2-specific antibody-drug conjugate to increase lysosomal delivery and therapeutic efficacy.. NATURE BIOTECHNOLOGY.
- Challa, D. K., Wang, X., Montoyo, H. P., Velmurugan, R., Ober, R. J., & Ward, E. S. (2019). Neonatal Fc receptor expression in macrophages is indispensable for IgG homeostasis.. MABS. 1-13.
- Khare, P., Challa, D. K., Devanaboyina, S. C., Velmurugan, R., Hughes, S., Greenberg, B. M., Ober, R. J., & Ward, E. S. (2018). Myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein-specific antibodies from multiple sclerosis patients exacerbate disease in a humanized mouse model. J Autoimmun. 86, 104-115.
- Velmurugan, R., Ramakrishnan, S., Kim, M., Ober, R. J., & Ward, E. S. (2018). Phagocytosis of antibody-opsonized tumor cells leads to the formation of a discrete vacuolar compartment in macrophages. Traffic (Copenhagen, Denmark). 19(4), 273-284.
- Ward, E. S., & Ober, R. J. (2018). Targeting FcRn to Generate Antibody-Based Therapeutics. Trends in Pharmacological Sciences.
- Challa, D. K., Velmurugan, R., Ober, R. J., & Ward, E. S. (2014). FcRn: From Molecular Interactions to Regulation of IgG Pharmacokinetics and Functions. SATELLITES AND DEFECTIVE VIRAL RNAS. FC RECEPTORS. (pp. 249-272). Springer International Publishing.
- Challa, D. K., Velmurugan, R., Ober, R. J., & Ward, E. S. (2014). FcRn: From molecular interactions to regulation of IgG pharmacokinetics and functions. SATELLITES AND DEFECTIVE VIRAL RNAS. (pp. 249-272).
- Ward, E. S., & Ober, R. J. (2012). The Diverse Roles of FcRn: Implications for Antibody Engineering. Therapeutic Proteins: Strategies to Modulate Their Plasma Half-Lives. (pp. 207-222). Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA.
- Ward, E. S., & Ober, R. J. (2009). Multitasking by Exploitation of Intracellular Transport Functions: The Many Faces of FcRn. Advances in Immunology. ADVANCES IN IMMUNOLOGY, VOL 103. (pp. 77-115). Elsevier.
- Chao, J., Velmurugan, R., You, S., Kim, D., Ward, E. S., & Ober, R. J. (2017). Remote focusing multifocal plane microscopy for the imaging of 3D single molecule dynamics with cellular context. MEDICAL IMAGING 2018: BIOMEDICAL APPLICATIONS IN MOLECULAR, STRUCTURAL, AND FUNCTIONAL IMAGING. 10070,
- Ram, S., Ward, E. S., Ober, R. J., & IEEE, .. (2007). Breaking the resolution barrier in optical microscopy: A new resolution measure with applications to single molecule imaging. 2015 IEEE 12th International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI). 928-931.
- Chao, J., Long, P., Sally Ward, E., & Ober, R. J. (2007). Design and application of the Microscopy Image Analysis Tool. 94-97.