- Director, Center for Sport Management Research and Education
- Professor, Health and Kinesiology, College of Education and Human Development
- Professor, Women's & Gender Studies
George B. Cunningham (Ph.D., The Ohio State University) is a Professor and Senior Assistant Provost for Graduate and Professional Studies at Texas A&M University. He serves as the director of the Center for Sport Management Research and Education, as well as the Laboratory for Diversity in Sport. Cunningham also holds a faculty affiliate appointment in the Women's and Gender Studies Program.
Cunningham's research is in the area of diversity and inclusion in sport. He has published over 200 peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters, has authored an award-winning book (Diversity in Sport Organizations), has co-edited an award-winning book (Routledge Handbook of Theory in Sport Management), and has received funding from a variety of entities to support his research. He is a member of the National Academy of Kinesiology.
- Ph.D. in Sport and Exercise Management, The Ohio State University - (Columbus, Ohio, United States) 2002
- M.S. in Kinesiology, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1999
- B.S. in Sport and Exercise Science, Midwestern State University - (Wichita Falls, Texas, United States) 1998
- Cunningham, G., McCullough, B. P., & Hohensee, S. (2020). Physical activity and climate change attitudes. CLIMATIC CHANGE. 159(1), 61-74.
- Cunningham, G. B., Wicker, P., & Kutsko, K. (2020). Gendered Racial Stereotypes and Coaching Intercollegiate Athletic Teams: The Representation of Black and Asian Women Coaches on U.S. Women’s and Men’s Teams. Sex Roles. 1-10.
- Cunningham, G. B., & Pickett, A. C. (2020). The Importance of Perceived Body-Inclusiveness among Physically Active Women in Larger Bodies. Sex Roles. 1-9.
- Watanabe, N. M., & Cunningham, G. B. (2020). The impact of race relations on NFL attendance: An econometric analysis. PLoS ONE. 15(1), e0226938-e0226938.
- Wigfall, L. T., Goodson, P., Cunningham, G. B., Harvey, I. S., Gilreath, T. D., Adair, M., ... Friedman, D. B. (2020). Understanding Community-based HIV/AIDS Service Organizations: An Invaluable Source of HPV-related Cancer Information for At-risk Populations. JOURNAL OF HEALTH COMMUNICATION. 25(1), 1-10.
- Dixon, M. A. (2016). Applying the three-tiered approach to male dominance and sex segregation in coaching. Routledge Handbook of Theory in Sport Management. (pp. 307-308). Routledge.
- Cunningham, G. B., Pickett, A. C., Melton, E. N., Lee, W., & Miner, K. (2014). Psychological safety and the expression of sexual orientation and personal identity. Routledge Handbook of Sport, Gender and Sexuality. (pp. 406-415). Routledge.
- Sagas, M., Cunningham, G. B., Wigley, B. J., & Ashley, F. (2003). Internet coverage of university softball and baseball websites: The inequity continues. Rowe, D. (Eds.), Sport, culture and the media: the unruly trinity. (pp. 340-349). McGraw-Hill Education (UK).
- Cunningham, G. B. (2012). Community Racism Buffers the Benefits of Opportunities for Physical Activity. RESEARCH QUARTERLY FOR EXERCISE AND SPORT. 83, A15-A15.
- Lee, W., & Cunningham, G. B. (2012). Examining the Influence of Sport-Related Contact on Prejudice Reduction. RESEARCH QUARTERLY FOR EXERCISE AND SPORT. 83, A85-A85.
- Melton, E. N., & Cunningham, G. B. (2012). It Gets Better: Benefits of Team Support for LGBT Athletes. RESEARCH QUARTERLY FOR EXERCISE AND SPORT. 83, A86-A86.
- Cunningham, G. B., Miner, K., & McDonald, J. (2012). Player-Coach Racial Dissimilarity, Incivility, and Commitment to the Team. RESEARCH QUARTERLY FOR EXERCISE AND SPORT. 83, A93-A93.
- Rosselli, A., & Cunningham, G. B. (2012). Race Appropriate? Examining the Association Between Racial Stereotypes and Golf. RESEARCH QUARTERLY FOR EXERCISE AND SPORT. 83, A86-A87.
- Cunningham, G. B. (2020). Nondiscrimination against LGBT individuals isn't just the law - it helps organizations succeed. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Cunningham, G. B. (2018). Transgender Americans still face workplace discrimination despite some progress and support of companies like Appl. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Cunningham, G. B. (2018). Minority job applicants with ‘strong racial identities’ may encounter less pay and lower odds of getting hired. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Cunningham, G. B. (2018). Corporate sponsors of Olympians enter the #MeToo fray. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Cunningham, G. B. (2017). Why bystanders rarely speak up when they witness sexual harassment. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Steward, Astin Devine (2016-08). Racial Identity and its Impact on Job Applicants. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Pickett, Andrew C (2016-08). Weight Stigma, Body-Inclusive Yoga, and a Model of Physical Activity for All. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lee, Woojun (2015-05). Moving Toward Social Justice in Sport: A Comprehensive Study of Social Justice Activists in Sport and the Factors that Shape them. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hooks, Tiffany (2013-05). Examining the Under-Represnetation of Deaf Administrators and Coaches at Predominately Hearing Sport Organizations. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Melton, Elizabeth (2012-08). Allies in Sport Organizations. (Doctoral Dissertation)