My research program focuses on understanding the mechanics and flow behavior of mudrocks with applications in subsurface pressures/stresses, basin modeling, and submarine slope failures. I am particularly interested in the controls on permeability and compressibility in marine sediments. In addition, I study physical and chemical diagenesis in shale gas reservoirs. My group uses field samples and data and employs a suite of laboratory techniques to pursue these research interests including sedimentological and geotechnical experimentation (grain size, Atterberg Limits, uniaxial consolidation, petrography). We also use imaging techniques (Scanning Electron Microscope) in order to analyze microstructures of the mudrocks.
- Ph.D. in Geosciences, The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States) 2011
- M.S. in Geosciences, University of Bremen - (Bremen, Germany) 2006
- B.S. in Geosciences, University of Bremen - (Bremen, Germany) 2004
- Daigle, H., Reece, J. S., & Flemings, P. B. (2020). A modified Swanson method to determine permeability from mercury intrusion data in marine muds. MARINE AND PETROLEUM GEOLOGY. 113, 104155-104155.
- Daigle, H., Reece, J. S., & Flemings, P. B. (2019). Evolution of the Percolation Threshold in Muds and Mudrocks During Burial. Geophysical Research Letters. 46(14), 8064-8073.
- Casey, B., Reece, J. S., & Germaine, J. T. (2019). One-dimensional normal compression laws for resedimented mudrocks. MARINE AND PETROLEUM GEOLOGY. 103, 397-403.
- Wu, W., Reece, J. S., Gensterblum, Y., & Zoback, M. D. (2017). Permeability Evolution of Slowly Slipping Faults in Shale Reservoirs. Geophysical Research Letters. 44(22), 11368-11375.
- Daigle, H., & Reece, J. S. (2015). Permeability of Two-Component Granular Materials. Transport in Porous Media. 106(3), 523-544.
- Schneider Reece, J., Flemings, P. B., & Germaine, J. T. (2013). Data report: permeability, compressibility, and microstructure of resedimented mudstone from IODP Expedition 322, Site C0011. Proceedings of the IODP. Integrated Ocean Drilling Program.