Trained as a cultural anthropologist, Hannaford's expertise spans the fields of transnational migration, international development, gender and sexuality, and the confluence of economic and affective life. She is the author of "Marriage Without Borders: Transnational Spouses in Neoliberal Senegal" (Penn Press, 2017), co-editor of "Opting Out: Women Messing with Marriage Around the World" (forthcoming, Rutgers University Press), and author of multiple articles in top peer-reviewed journals in Gender Studies; African Studies and the social sciences. Her new research examines the nexus between the international development industry, care work, and migration through an ethnographic study on expat aid workers and their domestic workers.
- Hannaford, D (2021). Babacar M’Baye and Besi Brillian Muhonja, eds. Gender and Sexuality in Senegalese Societies: Critical Perspectives and Methods. London: Lexington Books, 2019. 326 pages. Notes. Bibliography. Index. $100.00. Cloth. ISBN: 9781793601124.. African Studies Review. 64(4), E63-E65.
- Hannaford, D (2021). Human Infrastructure in Expat Spaces of an African City. City & Society. 33(2),
- Hannaford, D (2020). Having it all overseas: Aid workers and the international division of reproductive labour. Gender, Work & Organization. 27(4), 565-580.
- Hannaford, D (2020). Containment and the Specter of African Mobility. South Central Review. 37(2-3), 45-57.
- Hannaford, D (2018). Easy access: new dynamics in long-distance African intimacies. Africa. 88(4), 645-662.
- Hannaford, D (2017). Appendix: Scope and Methods of the Study. Marriage Without Borders. 131-134. University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Hannaford, D (2017). Bibliography. Marriage Without Borders. 145-160. University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Hannaford, D (2017). Chapter 1. Bitim Rëw. Marriage Without Borders. 15-34. University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Hannaford, D (2017). Chapter 2. Precarity, Care Work, and Lives Suspended. Marriage Without Borders. 35-53. University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Hannaford, D (2017). Chapter 3. Loneliness, Elegance, and Reproductive Labor. Marriage Without Borders. 54-77. University of Pennsylvania Press.
- AFST489 Sptp:comtemp Iss In Africa Instructor
- INTS201 Intro To Ints Instructor
- INTS401 Urbanism & Modernism Instructor
- INTS407 Diversity Globaliz World Instructor
- INTS407 Hnr-diversity Globaliz World Instructor
- INTS410 Gender And The Global Modern Instructor
- INTS481 Hnr-seminar Instructor
- INTS481 Seminar Instructor
- INTS485 Directed Studies Instructor
- INTS489 Sptp:comtemp Iss In Africa Instructor
- INTS491 Hnr-research Instructor
- INTS491 Research Instructor
- INTS497 Hnr-independent Honors Study Instructor
- WGST489 Sptp: Gender, Race And Migrati Instructor