Trained as a cultural anthropologists, Hannaford's expertise spans the fields of transnational migration, international development, gender and sexuality, and the confluence of economic and affective life. She is the author of "Marriage Without Borders: Transnational Spouses in Neoliberal Senegal" (Penn Press, 2017), and multiple articles in top peer-reviewed journals in Gender Studies; African Studies and the social sciences.
- Hannaford, D. (2018). Easy access: new dynamics in long-distance African intimacies. Africa. 88(4), 645-662.
- Hannaford, D. (2016). Intimate remittances: Marriage, migration, and MoneyGram in Senegal. Africa Today. 62(3), 92-109.
- Hannaford, D., & Foley, E. E. (2015). Negotiating Love and Marriage in Contemporary Senegal: A Good Man Is Hard to Find. AFRICAN STUDIES REVIEW. 58(2), 205-225.
- HANNAFORD, D. (2014). Technologies of the spouse: intimate surveillance in Senegalese transnational marriages. Global Networks. 15(1), 43-59.
- Fedora, G., & Hannaford, D. R. (2009). Genitorialità a distanza: reciprocità e migrazione senegalese. 1, 111-131.