My current research interests are in the broad area of carbonate sedimentology and stratigraphy. The topics I am focusing on include:
1) Carbonate reservoir characterization and modeling from modern and outcrop analogues, (interested in Caribbean islands, also Pacific and Indian Ocean islands)
2) Late Paleozoic carbonate petroleum systems and opportunities for exploration
3) Diagenesis and porosity evolution, using image analysis tools as a key for petrophysics.
4) The use of stable isotope geochemistry including clumped isotopes in understanding deposition, diagenesis and basin evolution.
5) Unconventional Carbonate reservoirs and basin analysis.
- Ph.D. in Geological Sciences, Durham University - (Durham, United Kingdom) 2012
- M.S. in Geological Sciences, Central University of Venezuela - (Caracas, Venezuela) 2010
- B.E. in , Universidad de Los Andes - (Bogotá, Colombia) 2002
- Laya, J. C., Albader, A., Kaczmarek, S., Pope, M., Harris, P. M., & Miller, B. (2021). Dissolution of ooids in seawater‐derived fluids – an example from Lower Permian re‐sedimented carbonates, West Texas, USA. Sedimentology. 68(6), 2671-2706.
- Valencia, F. L., Buatois, L. A., Laya, J. C., Mángano, M. G., Valencia, G. L., & Pope, M. C. (2021). Depositional environments and controls on the stratigraphic architecture of the Cenomanian Buda Limestone in west Texas, U.S.A. Marine and Petroleum Geology. 133, 105275-105275.
- Laya, J. C., Teoh, C. P., Whitaker, F., Manche, C., Kaczmarek, S., Tucker, M., Gabellone, T., & Hasiuk, F. (2021). Dolomitization of a Miocene-Pliocene progradational carbonate platform by mesohaline brines: Re-examination of the reflux model on Bonaire Island. Marine and Petroleum Geology. 126, 104895-104895.
- Teoh, C. P., & Laya, J. C. (2021). Preferential dolomitization in Mio–Pliocene bioclastic clinoforms, Bonaire Island, South Caribbean: insights from petrographic and geochemical analyses. Facies. 67(4), 30.
- Teoh, C. P., Jacquemyn, C., & Laya, J. C. (2021). The effects of dolomite geobodies within carbonate clinoforms on fluid flow and connectivity: Insights from an outcrop analogue on Bonaire, The Netherlands (South Caribbean). Marine and Petroleum Geology. 134, 105344-105344.
- Laya, J. C., & Tucker, M. E. (2015). Petroleum Potential of Permian Carbonates in Northern South America. Bartolini, C. (Eds.), Memoir 108: Petroleum Geology and Potential of the Colombian Caribbean Margin. 471-498.
- Davis, Drew Edward (2017-05). Digital Outcrop Models of the Eagle Ford Group in Lozier Canyon, Terrell County, Texas. (Master's Thesis)
- Sulaica, Jonathan Lucas (2015-12). Facies Distribution and Paleogeographic Evolution of Pleistocene Carbonates in Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles. (Master's Thesis)