Mitchell, Thomas individual record
- Professor, School of Law, Texas A&M University
- Professor, Agricultural Economics, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
My research primarily addresses real property issues that impact poor and disadvantaged communities, many of which are rural. More broadly, I research issues of economic inequality, specifically focusing on how the ability or inability of individuals or communities to build and retain assets can impact inequality.
education and training
- LL.M. in , University of Wisconsin - Madison - (Madison, Wisconsin, United States) 1999
- J.D. in , Howard University - (Washington D.C., District of Columbia, United States) 1993
- B.A. in English, Amherst College - (Amherst Center, Massachusetts, United States) 1987
- Mitchell, T. W., Stein, S., & Carpenter, A. (2020). Expansion of New Law in Southeast May Stave Off Black Land Loss. Partners Update. 1-3.
- Mitchell, T. W (2016). Restoring Hope for Heirs Property Owners: The Uniform Partition of Heirs Property Act. State & Local Law News. 40(1), 6-15.
- Mertz, E., Macaulay, S., & Mitchell, T. W (2016). New Legal Realism Volume I: Translating Law-and-Society for Today's Legal Practice.
- Mertz, E., Macaulay, S., & Mitchell, T. W (2016). The New Legal Realism: Translating Law-and-Society for Today's Legal Practice Volume I: Table of Contents. American Bar Foundation Research Paper. (5),
- Mitchell, T. W (2014). Reforming Property Law to Address Devastating Land Loss. Alabama Law Review. 66(1), 1-61.
- Mitchell, T. W (2013). The Hastie Fellowship Program at Forty: Still Creating Minority Law Professors. Wisconsin law review. 2013(3), 737-745.
- Mitchell, T. W (2013). Growing Inequality and Racial Economic Gaps. Howard law journal. 56(3), 849-890.
- National, C., Mitchell, T. W., McCurley, R. L., Breetz, W. R., Buxton, G. H., Dyke, E., ... Sebert, J. A (2010). Uniform Partition of Heirs Property Act. Uniform Partition of Heirs Property Act.
- Mitchell, T. W., Malpezzi, S., & Green, R. K (2010). Forced Sale Risk: Class, Race, and the "Double Discount". Florida State University Law Review. 37(3), 589-658.
- Mitchell, T. W (2005). Destabilizing the Normalization of Rural Black Land Loss: A Critical Role for Legal Empiricism. Wisconsin law review. 2005(2), 557-615.
- Mitchell, T. W. (2016). New Legal Realism and Inequality. Mertz, E., Macaulay, S., & Mitchell, T. W. (Eds.), The New Legal Realism: Translating Law-and-Society for Today's Legal Practice. 203-222. Cambridge University Press.
- Mitchell, T. W. (2019). Historic Partition Law Reform: A Game Changer for Heirs Property Owners. 65-82.
in the news
- Texas A&M School Of Law Continues To Raise The Bar Texas A&M Today December 16, 2020
- Once Called Naive for His Focus on Returning Land to Black Farmers, Thomas Mitchell Is Now a MacArthur Genius Civil Eats December 9, 2020
- This Law School Professor Is A Real 'Genius' Above the Law October 14, 2020
recent teaching activities
- LAW7032 Property Instructor
- LAW7484 Remedies Instructor
- LAW7900 Rural Cmnty Dev Seminar (sptp) Instructor
Texas A&M University; Texas A&M University School Of Law; 4255 TAMU
Ft Worth, TX 76102