Regulation of blood flow is required to maintain tissue perfusion throughout the body in proportion to metabolic demand. Resistance arterioles, comprised of vascular smooth muscle cells (SMCs), endothelial cells (ECs) and perivascular nerves (PVNs), are the primary site of regulation, with subtle changes in diameter resulting in significant alterations in flow. The main goal of our laboratory is examining the subtle interplay between ECs, SMCs and PVNs using a range of in vivo and in vitro techniques in normal and disease states. We have a particular interest in calcium imaging in the various cells that comprise the arteriolar wall, as calcium is a key second messenger involved in numerous blood flow regulating mechanisms. Using both acetoxymethyl ester-containing or genetically-encoded calcium indicators paired with confocal imaging technology, our group examines how changes in intracellular calcium translates into changes in diameter, and thus blood flow.
- University of Oxford - (Oxford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom), Postdoctoral Training 2014
- University of Missouri - (Columbia, Missouri, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2011
- Ph.D. in Molecular and Integrative Physiology, Cornell University - (Ithaca, New York, United States) 2007
- B.Sc. in Neuroscience, University of Scranton - (Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States) 2003
- Biwer, L. A., Askew-Page, H. R., Hong, K., Milstein, J., Johnstone, S. R., Macal, E., ... Isakson, B. E. (2020). Endothelial calreticulin deletion impairs endothelial function in aged mice.. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSIOLOGY-HEART AND CIRCULATORY PHYSIOLOGY. 318(5), h1041-h1048.
- Bagher, P. (2020). Extracellular Vesicles: How a Circulating Biomarker Can Double As a Regulator of Blood Pressure.. HYPERTENSION. 75(1), 40-43.
- Frederick, N. E., Mitchell, R., Hein, T. W., & Bagher, P. (2019). Morphological and pharmacological characterization of the porcine popliteal artery: A novel model for study of lower limb arterial disease. Microcirculation (New York, N.Y. : 1994). 26(6), e12527-e12527.
- Ye, X. i., Beckett, T., Bagher, P., Garland, C. J., & Dora, K. A. (2018). VEGF‐A inhibits agonist‐mediated Ca2+ responses and activation of IKCa channels in mouse resistance artery endothelial cells. Journal of Physiology. 596(16), 3553-3566.
- Garland, C. J., Smirnov, S. V., Bagher, P., Lim, C. S., Huang, C. Y., Mitchell, R., ... Dora, K. A. (2015). TRPM4 inhibitor 9‐phenanthrol activates endothelial cell intermediate conductance calcium‐activated potassium channels in rat isolated mesenteric artery. Br J Pharmacol. 172(4), 1114-1123.
- Bagher, P., Mitchell, R., Frederick, N., Tansey, P., Holzman, E., Zawieja, D., & Delp, M. (2019). Alterations in Nitric Oxide‐Mediated Signals in Coronary Arteries Following Spaceflight. The FASEB Journal. 33(S1), 838.5-838.5.
- Mitchell, R., Bagher, P., Dora, K., & Garland, C. (2015). Alpha‐1 Adrenergic Receptor Subtype Distribution in Small Resistance Arteries from Mouse and Rat. The FASEB Journal. 29,
- Bagher, P., Garland, C., & Dora, K. (2015). Ca2+ Influx Through Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell Voltage‐Gated Ca2+ Channels Increases Endothelial Cell Ca2+ to Evoke Vasodilation. The FASEB Journal. 29,
- Davis, H., Bagher, P., Dora, K., & Garland, C. (2015). Endogenous Acetylcholine Detected by Changes in [Ca2+]i Within Isolated Endothelial Cell Tubes. The FASEB Journal. 29,
- Bagher, P., Beleznai, T., Kansui, Y., Mitchell, R., Garland, C. J., & Dora, K. A. (2013). A novel role for spontaneous endothelial cell calcium activity in the vascular myogenic response. The FASEB Journal. 27, 924.3-924.3.
- Ruth L. Kirschstein Postdoctoral Individual National Research Service Award conferred by National Institutes of Health Clinical Center - (Bethesda, Maryland, United States) - This lasted until 2011. 2009