- Associate Professor
Dr. Clark's research seeks to understand how biological and environmental factors shape substance use and addiction. Specifically, the lab focuses on the role of genetics and epigenetics in the etiology of substance use and addiction and identifying (epi)genetic biomarkers. This line of research will eventually lead to the improvement of diagnosis, prognosis and treatment of substance addiction and its related health effects. We approach these research questions using a translational framework that incorporates both human and animal studies, big data, and advanced statistical modeling techniques.
- Ph.D. in Advanced Quantitative Methods, University of California Los Angeles - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 2004
- M.A. in Advanced Quantitative Methods, University of California Los Angeles - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 2004
- B.A. in Statistics, University of California, Berkeley - (Berkeley, California, United States) 2003
- Verhulst, B., Clark, S. L., Chen, J., Maes, H. H., Chen, X., & Neale, M. C. (2021). Clarifying the Genetic Influences on Nicotine Dependence and Quantity of Use in Cigarette Smokers. Behav Genet. 51(4), 375-384.
- Pritikin, J. N., Neale, M. C., Prom-Wormley, E. C., Clark, S. L., & Verhulst, B. (2021). GW-SEM 2.0: Efficient, Flexible, and Accessible Multivariate GWAS. Behav Genet. 51(3), 343-357.
- Clark, S. L., Chan, R., Zhao, M., Xie, L. Y., Copeland, W. E., Aberg, K. A., & van den Oord, E. (2021). Methylomic Investigation of Problematic Adolescent Cannabis Use and Its Negative Mental Health Consequences. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Kim, M., Clark, S. L., Donnellan, M. B., & Burt, S. A. (2020). A multi-method investigation of the personality correlates of digital aggression. Journal of Research in Personality. 85, 103923-103923.
- Zhang, X., Winke, P., & Clark, S. (2020). Background Characteristics and Oral Proficiency Development Over Time in Lower‐Division College Foreign Language Programs. Language Learning. 70(3), 807-847.
- Clark, S. L., Chan, R. F., Zhao, M., Xie, L. Y., Penninx, B., Aberg, K. A., & van den Oord, E. (2021). DUAL METHYLATION AND HYDROXYMETHYLATION STUDY IN BLOOD AND BRAIN IDENTIFIES BAIAP2 AS A MEDIATOR OF GENE EXPRESSION ASSOCIATED WITH ALCOHOL USE DISORDER. ALCOHOLISM-CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL RESEARCH. 45, 98A-98A.