Rajan, Nithya individual record
- Associate Professor, Soil and Crop Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
My current research areas include crop ecophysiology, agroecology and water management of agricultural crops. My research integrates measurements by a variety of techniques such as remote sensing, simulation modeling, soil and boundary layer flux (CO2, water vapor, and greenhouse gases) measurements. It involves scaling up point measurements to the field and landscape scales using modeling and geospatial data. It also includes the development of decision support tools for irrigation management. My other research interests include large scale agroecosystem studies addressing issues such as land use change, water sustainability, and climate change.
education and training
- Zapata, D., Rajan, N., Mowrer, J., Casey, K., Schnell, R., & Hons, F. (2021). Long-term tillage effect on with-in season variations in soil conditions and respiration from dryland winter wheat and soybean cropping systems.. Sci Rep. 11(1), 2344.
- Sharma, S., Rajan, N., Cui, S., Maas, S., Casey, K., Ale, S., & Jessup, R. (2019). Carbon and evapotranspiration dynamics of a non-native perennial grass with biofuel potential in the southern US Great Plains. AGRICULTURAL AND FOREST METEOROLOGY. 269, 285-293.
- Anapalli, S. S., Fisher, D. K., Reddy, K. N., Rajan, N., & Pinnamaneni, S. R. (2019). Modeling evapotranspiration for irrigation water management in a humid climate. AGRICULTURAL WATER MANAGEMENT. 225, 105731-105731.
- Kothari, K., Ale, S., Attia, A., Rajan, N., Xue, Q., & Munster, C. L. (2019). Potential climate change adaptation strategies for winter wheat production in the Texas High Plains. AGRICULTURAL WATER MANAGEMENT. 225, 105764-105764.
- Olanrewaju, S., Rajan, N., Ibrahim, A., Rudd, J. C., Liu, S., Sui, R., Jessup, K. E., & Xue, Q. (2019). Using aerial imagery and digital photography to monitor growth and yield in winter wheat. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF REMOTE SENSING. 40(18), 6905-6929.
- Bain, N., Rajan, N., & Gooch, B. (2017). An Interactive Diagnostic Application for Food Crop Irrigation. HUMAN INTERFACE AND THE MANAGEMENT OF INFORMATION: SUPPORTING LEARNING, DECISION-MAKING AND COLLABORATION, HCI INTERNATIONAL 2017, PT II. 10274, 202-211.
- Rajan, N., Shafian, S., Cope, D., Bagavathiannan, M., Malambo, L., Popescu, S., & Rooney, B. (2017). Field research applications of UAS. AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2017.
- Murray, S. C., Knox, L., Hartley, B., Mendez-Dorado, M. A., Richardson, G., Thomasson, J. A., ... Rooney, W. L. (2016). High clearance phenotyping systems for season-long measurement of corn, sorghum and other row crops to complement unmanned aerial vehicle systems. AUTONOMOUS AIR AND GROUND SENSING SYSTEMS FOR AGRICULTURAL OPTIMIZATION AND PHENOTYPING, Autonomous Air and Ground Sensing Systems for Agricultural Optimization and Phenotyping. 9866, 986607-986607-8.
- Rajan, N., & Maas, S. J. (2007). Calibrating aerial imagery for estimating crop ground cover. Indiana State University - 21st Biennial Workshop on Aerial Photography, Videography and High Resolution Digital Imagery for Resource Assessment 2007. 8-14.
- Maas, S., Rajan, N., Ko, J., Duesterhaus, J., & Lascano, R. (2006). Remote sensing approach for estimating daily crop water use. American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing - 20th Biennial Workshop on Aerial Photography, Videography, and High Resolution Digital Imagery for Resource Assessment 2005. 26-32.
in the news
- AgriLife helping set greenhouse gas emissions standards AgriLife Today June 22, 2020
- OSU receives $3.1 million for sorghum study Enid News & Eagle February 16, 2020
- Developing GPR For Enhanced Root and Soil Organic Carbon Imaging awarded by Department of Energy 2016 - 2019
- Venezuela - Information Intelligence for Farm Managers awarded by USDA-Foreign Agricultural Service 2018 - 2018
- Borlaug Ukraine-Irrigation Management awarded by USDA-Foreign Agricultural Service 2016 - 2018
- Borlaug Ukraine 2015 - Danylenko - TAMU awarded by USDA-Foreign Agricultural Service 2015 - 2017
recent teaching activities
- SCSC441 Advances In Agronomic Sciences Instructor
- SCSC484 Internship Instructor
- SCSC484 Internship: In-ab Instructor
- SCSC489 Sptp: Adv In Agro Sciences Instructor
- SCSC491 Research Instructor
chaired theses and dissertations
- Sharma, Sumit (2017-05). Carbon, Evapotranspiration and Energy Balance Dynamics of Potential Bioenergy Crops Compared to Cotton in the Southern Great Plains. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Chen, Yong (2016-12). Assessing the Impacts of Land Use Change from Cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) to Cellulosic Bioenergy Crops on Watershed Hydrology and Water Quality in the Texas High Plains. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Attia Mohamed, Ahmed (2014-12). Modeling Cotton and Winter Wheat Growth and Yield Responses to Irrigation Management in the Texas High Plains and Rolling Plains. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Soil & Crop Science; 2474 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-2474