My group studies the role of the ocean in regulating atmospherically important trace gases. A variety of trace gases including halocarbons (e.g. methyl halides, trihalomethanes), nitrous oxide, carbon dioxide, and methane are both produced and degraded in the ocean. The distribution and strength of the various oceanic sources and sinks impacts the exchange of these gases between the ocean and atmosphere. Through ship-board measurements, laboratory studies and modeling, my research group examines the role/magnitude of oceanic influence on trace gases that are important in the atmosphere as stratospheric ozone depletors or greenhouse gases.
We also study the impact of organic matter remineralization on dissolved inorganic carbon and pH. This relates to my trace gas research in that the oxidation of organic matter increases CO2, and to characterize the dissolved CO2 also requires understanding the dissolved inorganic carbon (DIC). In addition to measuring CO2 in the air and seawater, we also measure the DIC and total alkalinity (TA). This has allowed my research group to begin characterizing the DIC/pH system in the deep Gulf of Mexico. I have also been working with biologists on laboratory studies looking at the impacts of ocean acidification on various organisms and processes (e.g. toxin production).
- Ph.D. in Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami - (Coral Gables, Florida, United States) 1994
- B.S. in Chemistry, University of Massachusetts Amherst - (Amherst Center, Massachusetts, United States) 1989
- Chapman, P., DiMarco, S. F., Key, R. M., Previti, C., & Yvon-Lewis, S. (2017). Age Constraints on Gulf of Mexico Deep Water Ventilation as Determined by 14C Measurements. Radiocarbon. 60(1), 75-90.
- Chipperfield, M. P., Liang, Q., Rigby, M., Hossaini, R., Montzka, S. A., Dhomse, S., ... Mahieu, E. (2016). Model sensitivity studies of the decrease in atmospheric carbon tetrachloride. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 16(24), 15741-15754.
- Butler, J. H., Yvon-Lewis, S. A., Lobert, J. M., King, D. B., Montzka, S. A., Bullister, J. L., ... Liu, Y. (2016). A comprehensive estimate for loss of atmospheric carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) to the ocean. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 16(17), 10899-10910.
- Kodovska, F., Sparrow, K. J., Yvon-Lewis, S. A., Paytan, A., Dimova, N. T., Lecher, A., & Kessler, J. D. (2016). Dissolved methane and carbon dioxide fluxes in Subarctic and Arctic regions: Assessing measurement techniques and spatial gradients. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 436, 43-55.
- Bianchi, T. S., Thornton, D., Yvon‐Lewis, S. A., King, G. M., Eglinton, T. I., Shields, M. R., Ward, N. D., & Curtis, J. (2015). Positive priming of terrestrially derived dissolved organic matter in a freshwater microcosm system. GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS. 42(13), 5460-5467.
- Liu, Y., Thornton, D., Bianchi, T. S., Arnold, W. A., Shields, M. R., Chen, J., & Yvon-Lewis, S. A. (2015). Dissolved Organic Matter Composition Drives the Marine Production of Brominated Very Short-Lived Substances. Environmental Science and Technology. 49(6), 3366-3374.
- Errera, R. M., Yvon-Lewis, S., Kessler, J. D., & Campbell, L. (2014). Reponses of the dinoflagellate Karenia brevis to climate change: pCO2 and sea surface temperatures. Harmful Algae. 37, 110-116.
- Bianchi, T. S., Osburn, C., Shields, M. R., Yvon-Lewis, S., Young, J., Guo, L., & Zhou, Z. (2014). Deepwater Horizon Oil in Gulf of Mexico Waters after 2 Years: Transformation into the Dissolved Organic Matter Pool. Environmental Science and Technology. 48(16), 9288-9297.
- Du, M., Yvon-Lewis, S., Garcia-Tigreros, F., Valentine, D. L., Mendes, S. D., & Kessler, J. D. (2014). High Resolution Measurements of Methane and Carbon Dioxide in Surface Waters over a Natural Seep Reveal Dynamics of Dissolved Phase Air–Sea Flux. Environmental Science and Technology. 48(17), 10165-10173.
- Ziska, F., Quack, B., Abrahamsson, K., Archer, S. D., Atlas, E., Bell, T., ... Yokouchi, Y. (2013). Global sea-to-air flux climatology for bromoform, dibromomethane and methyl iodide. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 13(17), 8915-8934.
- Liu, Y., Yvon‐Lewis, S. A., Thornton, D., Butler, J. H., Bianchi, T. S., Campbell, L., Hu, L., & Smith, R. W. (2013). Spatial and temporal distributions of bromoform and dibromomethane in the Atlantic Ocean and their relationship with photosynthetic biomass. Journal of Geophysical Research - Oceans. 118(8), 3950-3965.
- Liu, Y., Yvon‐Lewis, S. A., Thornton, D., Campbell, L., & Bianchi, T. S. (2013). Spatial distribution of brominated very short‐lived substances in the eastern Pacific. Journal of Geophysical Research - Oceans. 118(5), 2318-2328.
- Hu, L., Yvon‐Lewis, S. A., Butler, J. H., Lobert, J. M., & King, D. B. (2013). An improved oceanic budget for methyl chloride. Journal of Geophysical Research - Oceans. 118(2), 715-725.
- Bianchi, T. S., Garcia‐Tigreros, F., Yvon‐Lewis, S. A., Shields, M., Mills, H. J., Butman, D., ... Grossman, E. L. (2013). Enhanced transfer of terrestrially derived carbon to the atmosphere in a flooding event. GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS. 40(1), 116-122.
- Mahajan, A. S., Martín, J., Hay, T. D., Royer, S., Yvon-Lewis, S., Liu, Y., ... Saiz-Lopez, A. (2012). Latitudinal distribution of reactive iodine in the Eastern Pacific and its link to open ocean sources. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 12(23), 11609-11617.
- Hu, L., Yvon‐Lewis, S., Liu, Y., & Bianchi, T. S. (2012). The ocean in near equilibrium with atmospheric methyl bromide. Global Biogeochemical Cycles. 26(3),
- martin, J., hay, T. D., mahajan, A. S., prados-roman, C., ordoñez, C., royer, S. J., ... panero, M. S. (2012). On the latitudinal and seasonal distribution of reactive halogens in the Eastern Pacific marine boundary layer.
- Yvon-Lewis, S. A. (2012). The ocean in near equilibrium with atmospheric methyl bromide.
- Hu, L., Yvon‐Lewis, S. A., Kessler, J. D., & MacDonald, I. R. (2012). Methane fluxes to the atmosphere from deepwater hydrocarbon seeps in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences. 117(C1),
- Liu, Y., Yvon‐Lewis, S. A., Hu, L., Salisbury, J. E., & O'Hern, J. E. (2011). CHBr3, CH2Br2, and CHClBr2 in U.S. coastal waters during the Gulf of Mexico and East Coast Carbon cruise. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences. 116(C10),
- Taylor, T., Ford, D. N., Yvon‐Lewis, S. A., & Lindquist, E. (2011). Science, engineering, and technology in the policy process for mitigating natural–societal risk. System Dynamics Review. 27(2), 173-194.
- Yvon-Lewis, S. A. (2011). 2in U.S. coastal waters during the Gulf of Mexico and East Coast Carbon cruise.
- butler, J. H., yvon-lewis, S. A., lobert, J. M., king, D. B., montzka, S. A., & koropalov, V. (2011). A revised Look at the Oceanic Sink for Atmospheric CCl4. 1, 0273-0273.
- hu, L., & yvon-lewis, S. A. (2011). Improved understanding of the atmospheric methyl bromide and methyl chloride budgets. 1, 0068-0068.
- montzka, S. A., reimann, S., engel, A., kruger, K., sturges, W. T., blake, D., ... jucks, K. (2011). Ozone-Depleting Substances (ODSs) and Related Chemicals (Chapter 1).
- Yvon-Lewis, S., & Butler, J. H. (2015). STRATOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY TOPICS | Halogen Sources, Natural (Methyl Bromide and Related Gases). Encyclopedia of Atmospheric Sciences. (pp. 228-232). Elsevier.
- Liu, Y., Pavia, A., Walsh, G., Kuo, L., Chu, K., Yang, S., ... Knap, A. (2019). Distribution of Per- and Polyfluorinated Alkyl Substances (PFAS) in Galveston Bay, TX. ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts. 257,
- Estimating fluxes of CO2 and CH4 along the Siberian Yensei River awarded by National Science Foundation 2016 - 2017
- Young, Jordan Wayne (2016-08). Surface and Deepwater Dissolved Inorganic Carbon and pH in the Northern Gulf of Mexico. (Master's Thesis)
- Smyth, Alison Michelle (2014-08). The Effects of Ozone Deposition and Dissolved Organic Matter on Manganese Speciation in the Surface Ocean. (Master's Thesis)
- Du, Mengran (2014-08). Determining the Fate of Methane Released from the Seafloor in Deep and Shallow Water Environments. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Liu, Yina (2013-08). Global Distributions and Natural Sources of Brominated very Short-Lived Substances. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Garcia Tigreros, Fenix (2013-05). The Combined Effect of Ocean Acidification and Euthrophication on water pH and Aragonite Saturation State in the Northern Gulf of Mexico. (Master's Thesis)